REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 136 guests

Strongman injury survey (Brief summary)

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

paulwinwoodIconStrongman injury survey (Brief summary)27-04-2012 @ 23:09 
Member 3572, 6 posts
Post Edited: 27.04.2012 @ 23:09 PM by paulwinwood
Hi Guys,
I just want to say a big thank you for those of you who took part in the strongman injury survey. We had 200 strongman competitors fill it out! I will leave the link active for another 2 weeks for those of you that still wish to take part.

http://edu.surveygizmo.com/s3/822436/Injury-Epidemiology-of-St...

The data analysis will take me a few months to do and collate but there are some distinct patterns so far.

Of the total amount of injuries reported, the four major sites of injury are the Lower back (26%), Shoulder (22%), Bicep (11.2%) and the Knee (9%).

The 4 most common causes of injury were Dead lifts (this includes barbell, axle and car), Overhead presses (this includes barbell, axles and dumbbells), Squats and Stones.

From your comments in regard to your injuries the 3 most common reasons that you attributed your injuries too were; lack of warm up, poor technique and overtraining.

Most injuries occurring during the lifting of heavy loads i.e. 80 to 100% of 1RM
That’s all for now guys. The full results will be put on the SPRINZ website in a few months time http://www.sprinz.aut.ac.nz/areas-of-expertise and I will write a report to be published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research.

Regards
Paul
slimsimIcon...27-04-2012 @ 23:18 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Excellent! Glad so many people contributed for you. Happy

I'm a bit surprised overhead causes so many injuries. Maybe mine are ok cos I lift so little overhead?

Would be great if you could post a link when it is published.
deleted2_20210523Icon...28-04-2012 @ 13:55 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted
paulwinwoodIcon...28-04-2012 @ 21:43 
Member 3572, 6 posts
Thanks Guys, I will post the link when the analysis is complete.
The injuries may also be attributed to the fact that presses and lifts are the most commonly performed strongman exercises.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...29-04-2012 @ 11:34 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22044 posts
paulwinwood said:
The 4 most common causes of injury were Dead lifts (this includes barbell, axle and car), Overhead presses (this includes barbell, axles and dumbbells), Squats and Stones.

Tyre flip?
JCIcon...01-05-2012 @ 14:32 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Wayne_Cowdrey said:
Tyre flip?

I dont think injuries with tyre flip are that common TBH

you just always hear of them, as it tends to be a bicep, rather than something minor
paulwinwoodIcon...03-05-2012 @ 10:01 
Member 3572, 6 posts
Post Edited: 03.05.2012 @ 10:02 AM by paulwinwood
Interestingly, strongman competitors in the survey ranked the tyre flip as the most dangerous strongman event! However only a few injuries were reported as a result of the tyre flip.
davycummingsIcon...03-05-2012 @ 10:31 
he's got betty davis eyes
Member 1684, 6001 posts
SQ 250, BP 186, DL 291
727.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
paulwinwood said:Interestingly, strongman competitors in the survey ranked the tyre flip as the most dangerous strongman event! However only a few injuries were reported as a result of the tyre flip.

Interesting, how did it rank in terms of how often it was trained? Could the injuries be lower becasue people dont train it so often, or do we all just have it it in our minds that it is a bad one for injury when it is not really?

I am certainly reluctant to train it for fear of injury, having seen injuries on it first hand.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...03-05-2012 @ 16:00 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22044 posts
davycummings said:
I am certainly reluctant to train it for fear of injury, having seen injuries on it first hand.

The events that I'm personally most fearful of (in terms of injury risk) are - dead lift, tyre flip and yoke. Stones don't worry me. Because I'm slow (Roll-Eyes ), I tend to take my time getting hold of them, rather than just grabbing them and ripping them up.

I've been a strongman fan since childhood and a competitor (if you can call it that) for quite a few years, but I can think of hardly any overhead and squat injuries that have happened in comps. I know shoulder injuries are quite common, but isn't that more from accumulated strain (and benching!), rather than people's shoulders "going" during an overhead lift?
HarryIcon...04-05-2012 @ 14:00 
I have sex with women
Member 2122, 310 posts
SQ 180, BP 135, DL 220
535.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
I would think tipping over with an atlas stone on you would rank top unless not many people do them?
deleted2_20210523Icon...04-05-2012 @ 14:01 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted
StetecIcon...04-05-2012 @ 18:38 
Thing thinks he can decide what goes here. He cant
Member 354, 1452 posts
Added my bicep to those stats!
paulwinwoodIcon...05-05-2012 @ 02:05 
Member 3572, 6 posts
davycummings said:
Interesting, how did it rank in terms of how often it was trained? Could the injuries be lower becasue people dont train it so often, or do we all just have it it in our minds that it is a bad one for injury when it is not really?

The tyre as a training implement was ranked as the 6th (out of the 18 implements listed) most commonly used implement. Top 5 were: Farmers walk bars, steel logs, stones, axles and yoke walk implements.

Tyre flip is an interesting one as it can be performed in different ways i.e. like a bilateral power clean, or going into the split stance using the leg to help lift the tyre. I guess with the weight used in competition the former would be used but is the other more predominantly used in training? The speed of movement may be also be big factor regarding injury to. Thats going to take a while to analyse.

Presses and lifts were the most commonly performed exercises which may explain the high % of shoulder and lower back injuries.

Not sure yet in regard to the type of injury (i.e. acute or chronic) per anatomical site - thats going to take a lot of time to analyse.
paulwinwoodIcon...05-05-2012 @ 02:08 
Member 3572, 6 posts
davycummings said:

The tyre as a training implement was ranked as the 6th (out of the 18 implements listed) most commonly used implement. Top 5 were: Farmers walk bars, steel logs, stones, axles and yoke walk implements.

Tyre flip is an interesting one as it can be performed in different ways i.e. like a bilateral power clean, or going into the split stance using the leg to help lift the tyre. I guess with the weight used in competition the former would be used but is the other more predominantly used in training? The speed of movement may be also be big factor regarding injury to, but thats going to take a while to analyse.

Presses and lifts were the most commonly performed exercises which may explain the high % of shoulder and lower back injuries.

Not sure yet in regard to the type of injury (i.e. acute or chronic) per anatomical site - thats going to take a lot of time to analyse.
drewIcon...05-05-2012 @ 02:09 
I thought Joplin choked on a sandwich?
Member 616, 8404 posts
SQ 180, BP 130, DL 220
530.0 kgs @ 78.8kgs UnEq
paulwinwood said:
Tyre flip is an interesting one as it can be performed in different ways i.e. like a bilateral power clean, or going into the split stance using the leg to help lift the tyre. I guess with the weight used in competition the former would be used but is the other more predominantly used in training? The speed of movement may be also be big factor regarding injury to. Thats going to take a while to analyse.

i imagine pretty much all the tire based injuries stem from too poor a grip for the weight of the tire. i.e. heavy tires with no grip

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions