REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 179 guests

Sleep problems/supplement?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

JCarter123Icon...27-08-2015 @ 12:43 
Member 3757, 1746 posts
SQ 202.5, BP 110, DL 255
567.5 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
This thread is very timely as I am just about to visit an expert as I too have been having sleeping problems for about 15 years now (started during my GCSE's: I was worried if I fell asleep I would forget everything I've learned) and my about to be new coach won't take me on without tackling the sleep issue.

I bought a sleep app and this week I've average about 5 hours sleep a night with about 10 times waking up.

I too have heard black-out blinds and no electronics in bedroom. I don't think noise is necessarily a bad thing though if it's just background noise?

Anyway, am looking forward to hearing more suggestions.
justaboutpastitIcon...27-08-2015 @ 16:41 
Member 5268, 136 posts
SQ 205, BP 125, DL 240
570.0 kgs @ 106kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 27.08.2015 @ 16:57 PM by justaboutpastit
I haven't slept properly in years due to combat stress, the drugs both over counter and prescribed didn't work. Some of the techniques I have been taught over the last year from Help for Heroes have really helped.

Black out blind.

Quiet even if it means using ear plugs

Bedroom only for sleeping and intimate times

Get rid of all tv's books etc

If you don't fall asleep in 20 mins don't lie in bed get up and do something play cards have a cup of tea warm milk etc and when you feel tired try again.

Don't ruminate about not sleeping or other intrusive thoughts

Make it a routine do the same thing and go to bed at the same time each night it will prepare your body for sleep.

Recently I had a sensory assessment and I found listening to rain or white noise helped me greatly in falling asleep so try different sounds or relaxation techniques. There are apps for these.

Smells can work for some like lavender

A heavy blanket (not thick but in weight) people have found these useful as they offer security which enables them to sleep.

A lot of the above is trial and error and may take a week or to for you to get used to. However what works for me may not work for you but keep searching you will find the answer, like I said it has took me years.

Oh and yes a year ago I thought listening to rain and relaxation tapes was hippy crap and not for me.

Edit if you haven't already lookup sleep hygiene it may offer some other ideas
ironcolinIcon...27-08-2015 @ 21:48 
Member 2552, 848 posts
SQ 190, BP 160, DL 220
570.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Thanks justaboutpastit, some good advice there also. I have a few things now to go on and I will take time to find what works. Thanks guys.
McMuffin_GainsIcon...27-08-2015 @ 21:57 
Help me rescue my Insulina.
Member 5366, 1090 posts
I cannot sleep at all without white noise, pure silence just seems so loud! I sleep with a fan on all year round.

As has been said already, rain is great for falling to sleep, if I'm struggling I sometimes use rainymood.com it works for me
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...27-08-2015 @ 22:20 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22042 posts
Silence isn't silence when you have tinnitus Unhappy
AMH_PowerIcon...28-08-2015 @ 17:24 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
I would fix the cause, not find a remedy.
I used to worry, and didn't sleep well at all.
Then I realised, worrying didn't change the outcome of anything.
Now I sleep 8 hours unbroken and wake up feeling action packed.
I used to wake up feeling drunk!

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions