REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 203 guests

Should lunges be kept to the bodybuilding world?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

littlegirlbunnyIconShould lunges be kept to the bodybuilding world?02-05-2007 @ 11:12 
MIA
Member 7, 621 posts
SQ 80, BP 45, DL 125
250.0 kgs @ 55kgs UnEq
I have been thinking about doing lunges again as part of my routine. There is a rational explanation....honest. I have a clear different between my right and left legs in terms of strength, and a definate weakness in my right quad compared to the left.

I'm thinking that some single leg work may be useful to help correct it. I secretly like doing lunges - they hurt like hell and give me DOMS like nothing else, but I still like them. So is it worth it?

Or should I a) not bother and just carry on squatting or b) doing single legged legpressing or c) something I haven't thought of?
mishimaIcon...02-05-2007 @ 11:20 
pink french superstar beard
Member 26, 4030 posts
SQ 190, BP 0, DL 205
395.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
Well, if you like lunges do them, as assistance that is.
Training should be fun in my book, dont shy away from squats thoughWink
CuddlesIcon...02-05-2007 @ 11:26 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Joe, I think some single leg work might be great for you. Plenty of lifters speak anecdotally about them helping their imbalances but most interestingly helping their knee problems (something I know your all too familiar with!). Exercises ive seen recommended:

- bulgarian split squats
- step ups
- lunges
- one legged dumbell deadlifts (these will fry your hammies)

There are plenty of others too. They shouldnt really impede your recovery and who knows, might be just the thing you're after...
RobIcon...02-05-2007 @ 12:44 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
Good post by Olly, single leg work is something nearly everyone neglects (myself included!). Great for sports training too - would imagine it could be of great benefit to your MMA stuff too.

Plenty of stuff on T-Nation on this topic.
littlegirlbunnyIcon...02-05-2007 @ 13:10 
MIA
Member 7, 621 posts
SQ 80, BP 45, DL 125
250.0 kgs @ 55kgs UnEq
Thanks for the feedback everyone Grin

I think i'm going to try and stick lunges in somewhere during the week, probably after squatting sunday (although that may be a wee bit like hard work!)
big49ersfanIcon...02-05-2007 @ 20:50 
The longest serving member without a tagline
Member 41, 395 posts
SQ 255, BP 165, DL 267.5
687.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
i try to do them with all squat work. i have an issue between putting an assistance move after squats i.e. GM's or the single leg work. the single leg stuff is very important as a sportmans but so is a heavy squat and the GM's as an example will help them. it is your call as to which you will do second but think about which means more to you.
FazcIcon...06-05-2007 @ 10:41 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
I like to substitute them in for assistance work occasionly. Usually in place of Leg Presses.

They work well for higher reps, especially. 4 sets of 15 with weight is a pretty good way to go.
zenpharaohsIcon...09-09-2007 @ 03:18 
Member 142, 6 posts
SQ 190, BP 125, DL 227.27
542.3 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 09.09.2007 @ 03:26 AM
Originally posted by littlegirlbunny...
I have been thinking about doing lunges again as part of my routine. There is a rational explanation....honest. I have a clear different between my right and left legs in terms of strength, and a definate weakness in my right quad compared to the left.

I'm thinking that some single leg work may be useful to help correct it. I secretly like doing lunges - they hurt like hell and give me DOMS like nothing else, but I still like them. So is it worth it?

Or should I a) not bother and just carry on squatting or b) doing single legged legpressing or c) something I haven't thought of?

Single leg work is valuable, but it doesn't have to be lunges. There are reasons to choose from single leg squats, single leg deadlifts, and lunges. I happened across this site due to my notoriety at doing single leg work, I am this guy:

so I might as well get my money's worth. Single leg work is near and dear to me.

In your case, since you are thinking about evening out the quad imbalance, there is clearly a role for the single leg squat, also known as split squat, or Bulgarian squat (even though the Bulgarian origin is dubious). Good work with single leg squats is a useful alternative to single leg presses. That is the first order of business for you.

Whenever you do a quad dominant single leg exercise it's worth thinking about the other side of the leg as well - single leg posterior chain work. The single leg stiff legged deadlift falls somewhere between a single leg version of the stiff legged deadlift and a single leg version of the Romanian deadlift. Sometimes when you have a weak leg, you notice it in the quads, but it can happen that other muscles in that leg are also enjoying a free ride when you do your bilateral exercises. The single leg stiff legged deadlift, especially on an unstable surface, is THE ultimate whole leg exercise. Each direction in which you can get tilted the wrong way can put quite a load on any of the muscles in the leg.

The lunge, on the other hand, is more of a stance/balance exercise that involves both legs, and often is useful for working the core - you can put various twists or asymmetric lifts, cable rows, etc. on top of lunges, and usually the lunge works both legs, but not in the same way. You can do crossover lunges, forward and reverse lunges, all sorts of sports specific things. But it has less focus than either the single leg squat or deadlift. The origin of the lunge is fighting - the lunge is a step from a stance, which is essentially a weapons platform - this is why the lunge is expected to support any activity whatsoever on top of it. That makes lunges a little more isometric than other single leg exercises, and is one reason why lunges may be less suitable to your problem.

There are a lot of other really worthwhile single leg exercises. One that really needs to be mentioned at the top of the list is the step up. This versatile exercise can be bent to many purposes - cardio, plyo, and heavy. The size of the step and the weight of the barbell, and whether you alternate legs or not, make the step up a very flexible exercise. If you want a challenging variation, there is always the overhead step up. If I was of a mind to open the eyes of lifters who think single leg work is easy, the overhead step up is one of the first exercises to have them fail.

One hazard with single leg work is that some people don't get it, so if you go to the gym and do it where people don't get it, you might get advice to avoid this work. Have faith. It's good work, even when it looks suspicious. And it can look pretty suspicious to the untrained eye:

You have to have faith. Humans normally use their legs one at a time, unless they are professional sack racers. Training the legs one at a time makes complete sense.

And in your case, any time there is an imbalance that could have come from one leg letting the other do all the work - then single leg work eliminates that problem.

And nothing wrong with doing your calf raises one leg at a time either.
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions