REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 265 guests

Rio Ferdinand Boxing?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Closed This thread has been closed by a moderator. Replies are no longer possible.

PaulSavageIcon...23-09-2017 @ 12:31 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 23.09.2017 @ 12:58 PM by PaulSavage
danbaseley said:
There was a 28 year old on this site, who met someone who "shown me some basics and within 2 day he's saying i could be british champion in 3-5 years."
He took this with a pinch of salt, until he realised "I already have a lot more speed and agility than most heavyweights".
And showed just what an expert he was by, some would say controversially, stating, "Anthony Joshua, who just had his first pro fight (against another guy with almost zero technique, whom had somehow managed to beat 8 fighters out of 8 prior - !), looked like he had the punching power of a featherweight, poor defense at best, and a big lack of movement".
Seems he was, er, correct about Joshua. Apart from the heavyweight titles of course.
Alas, he turned down million pound paydays, because the boxing practice hurt his shoulder and affected his legs recovering after hack squats.
If he could have been The Great White (Carpetbagging) Hope - surely Rio is not without a chance?

Complete load of bo***cks. Firstly, everybody knows heavyweights in Britain were nigh on none existent back then and I'd been national champion in two other sports so why not? If you go into a sport thinking you can do f**k all, that's what will happen. I never said id be British champion, I didn't know if I would even do boxing, I was just starting out. Only thing I said was I thought it was possible.

I was probably talking about Joshua's opponent but Joshua was not at all impressive to me at first as I first seen him in the Olympic finals that he lost badly but got gifted (loads of other people have said the same, including top pro's). Never said he couldn't be world champion and he's came on massively since then. Boxing didn't hurt my shoulder (hack squats?), I broke my foot but I stopped because I found the constant repetition work very boring.

It seems people think boxing is all about skill and how many years you have been doing it but fitness and will to win play at least as big a roll. Natural reflexes make a difference too.
danbaseleyIcon...23-09-2017 @ 13:06 
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4468 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
"I feel i'm naturally talented as a boxer and could give a f**k about someone trying to beat me around the ring."

I'm afraid that goes part and parcel with the job.

"The reason i have not properly tried the boxing is because i am enjoying lifting and because it's going well."

Oh - so it wasn't a broken foot that stopped you from taking on all comers in a Heavyweight category in Britain which was non-existent in 2013 (do you even Tyson Fury? Not even once).

"I'd been national champion in two other sports so why not?"

Tell me Paul, have you actually stepped into a ring at any point and had your bell rung? Or even sparred with an experienced boxer of Middleweight or heavier?

Your ability to hold onto things very tightly may have made gripping your girlfriend's hand in the back of the ambulance on the way to the hospital better, had you foolishly decided to follow this dream of boxing - however, I cannot see it giving any perceivable perceivable advantage in boxing.
PaulSavageIcon...23-09-2017 @ 13:41 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
danbaseley said:"I feel i'm naturally talented as a boxer and could give a f**k about someone trying to beat me around the ring."

I'm afraid that goes part and parcel with the job.

"The reason i have not properly tried the boxing is because i am enjoying lifting and because it's going well."

Oh - so it wasn't a broken foot that stopped you from taking on all comers in a Heavyweight category in Britain which was non-existent in 2013 (do you even Tyson Fury? Not even once).

"I'd been national champion in two other sports so why not?"

Tell me Paul, have you actually stepped into a ring at any point and had your bell rung? Or even sparred with an experienced boxer of Middleweight or heavier?

Your ability to hold onto things very tightly may have made gripping your girlfriend's hand in the back of the ambulance on the way to the hospital better, had you foolishly decided to follow this dream of boxing - however, I cannot see it giving any perceivable perceivable advantage in boxing.

You can hate all you want, that girlfriend is world champion in two sports, has the strongest female grip in history, and very possibly the strongest drug free female on the planet (being drug tested world strongwoman champion). Ask her why this is and she will tell you its due to my coaching.

It was the broken foot also, I haven't been physically able to box since, both my feet have been a mess but I didn't like the repetition work, found it really boring and I like lifting. It was just something I tried and was actually gifted at, but if you don't enjoy even the base training then what's the point? Grip an advantage in boxing? You are a terrible troll but yes actually, as large muscular hands weigh more and that makes for a more damaging punch. Of course what really makes a difference is having quick reactions, speed, power, timing and the ability to learn very quickly (when trying at 28 anyway). There's a lot of top boxers that have started late and done well, and unlike yourself obviously, I'm always going to be positive in anything I do.
danbaseleyIcon...23-09-2017 @ 14:17 
Member 1252, 4468 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
"You can hate all you want, that girlfriend is world champion in two sports, has the strongest female grip in history, and very possibly the strongest drug free female on the planet (being drug tested world strongwoman champion). Ask her why this is and she will tell you its due to my coaching."

This has no bearing on boxing. At all.

"It was the broken foot also, I haven't been physically able to box since, both my feet have been a mess but I didn't like the repetition work, found it really boring and I like lifting. It was just something I tried and was actually gifted at, but if you don't enjoy even the base training then what's the point? Grip an advantage in boxing? You are a terrible troll but yes actually, as large muscular hands weigh more and that makes for a more damaging punch."

Funny that no grip champion has ever been world champion in boxing!

"Of course what really makes a difference is having quick reactions, speed, power, timing and the ability to learn very quickly (when trying at 28 anyway). There's a lot of top boxers that have started late and done well, and unlike yourself obviously, I'm always going to be positive in anything I do."

So you have never been hit, or sparred at a decent level? Or you are avoiding the question?
BrenWadIcon...23-09-2017 @ 14:20 
Enough was enough. Banned.
Member 6099, 775 posts
SQ 300, BP 195, DL 310
805.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:
You can hate all you want, that girlfriend is world champion in two sports, has the strongest female grip in history, and very possibly the strongest drug free female on the planet (being drug tested world strongwoman champion). Ask her why this is and she will tell you its due to my coaching.
It was the broken foot also, I haven't been physically able to box since, both my feet have been a mess but I didn't like the repetition work, found it really boring and I like lifting. It was just something I tried and was actually gifted at, but if you don't enjoy even the base training then what's the point? Grip an advantage in boxing? You are a terrible troll but yes actually, as large muscular hands weigh more and that makes for a more damaging punch. Of course what really makes a difference is having quick reactions, speed, power, timing and the ability to learn very quickly (when trying at 28 anyway). There's a lot of top boxers that have started late and done well, and unlike yourself obviously, I'm always going to be positive in anything I do.

You are a complete fantasist. As for your gf, drug free?? I'd get her pituitary checked asap.
PaulSavageIcon...23-09-2017 @ 14:40 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
BrenWad said:
You are a complete fantasist. As for your gf, drug free?? I'd get her pituitary checked asap.

Again can hate all you want, check the results. She was tested as soon as she finished the comps.
PaulSavageIcon...23-09-2017 @ 15:06 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 23.09.2017 @ 15:26 PM by PaulSavage
danbaseley said:"You can hate all you want, that girlfriend is world champion in two sports, has the strongest female grip in history, and very possibly the strongest drug free female on the planet (being drug tested world strongwoman champion). Ask her why this is and she will tell you its due to my coaching."

This has no bearing on boxing. At all.

"It was the broken foot also, I haven't been physically able to box since, both my feet have been a mess but I didn't like the repetition work, found it really boring and I like lifting. It was just something I tried and was actually gifted at, but if you don't enjoy even the base training then what's the point? Grip an advantage in boxing? You are a terrible troll but yes actually, as large muscular hands weigh more and that makes for a more damaging punch."

Funny that no grip champion has ever been world champion in boxing!

"Of course what really makes a difference is having quick reactions, speed, power, timing and the ability to learn very quickly (when trying at 28 anyway). There's a lot of top boxers that have started late and done well, and unlike yourself obviously, I'm always going to be positive in anything I do."

So you have never been hit, or sparred at a decent level? Or you are avoiding the question?

It has bearing on your s**t talk about me. Lot of people that compete at a high level can transfer that work ethic into another sport and compete at a high level in that also. Of course I've been hit, and no I've never sparred at a decent level (you know this). Again be negative all you want, does f**k all for you, I'll always be positive and have a winning attitude. If me, Rio or whoever want to try something in sports, let them go for it, no use trying to bring others down.
JohnIcon...23-09-2017 @ 15:16 
#biggef
Member 5263, 3492 posts
SQ 260, BP 195, DL 260
715.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
Everyone has an opinion and should be respected for that but hate it when things get personal, I find it sad. Unhappy
danbaseleyIcon...23-09-2017 @ 16:18 
Member 1252, 4468 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:
It has bearing on your s**t talk about me. Lot of people that compete at a high level can transfer that work ethic into another sport and compete at a high level in that also. Of course I've been hit, and no I've never sparred at a decent level (you know this). Again be negative all you want, does f**k all for you, I'll always be positive and have a winning attitude. If me, Rio or whoever want to try something in sports, let them go for it, no use trying to bring others down.

Have you ever heard the fable of the Fox and the Grapes?

The fox struggles to get to a bunch of low hanging fruit, only to pass off his failure as targeting a goal which was not worthwhile to begin with.

You rationalise your decision to stop boxing - which you have, admittedly, never sparred at a decent level on, let alone been in a smoker - by stating that you were doing well at lifting weights.

You could have earned thousands, if not millions by becoming British champ, only to pass up the opportunity because you can get paid f**k all to lift weights in a gym.

However, you have previously casually stated "I know boxing" (which is clearly questionable) and list your physical attributes as some sort of 'genetic 1 percenter' as to why you would have been successful at a sport you clearly were NOT successful at.

There is a difference between a positive mental attitude and complete cognitive dissonance.
PaulSavageIcon...23-09-2017 @ 17:43 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
danbaseley said:
Have you ever heard the fable of the Fox and the Grapes?
The fox struggles to get to a bunch of low hanging fruit, only to pass off his failure as targeting a goal which was not worthwhile to begin with.
You rationalise your decision to stop boxing - which you have, admittedly, never sparred at a decent level on, let alone been in a smoker - by stating that you were doing well at lifting weights.
You could have earned thousands, if not millions by becoming British champ, only to pass up the opportunity because you can get paid f**k all to lift weights in a gym.
However, you have previously casually stated "I know boxing" (which is clearly questionable) and list your physical attributes as some sort of 'genetic 1 percenter' as to why you would have been successful at a sport you clearly were NOT successful at.
There is a difference between a positive mental attitude and complete cognitive dissonance.

Dude talking a load of crap on the internet doesn't accomplish anything. Saying I said something I didn't also accomplishes nothing.

Why are you trying to down other people? What's wrong with your life that you think this is a good use of your time? What do you feel you get out of this? Seems entirely pointless to me.
MikenetoIcon...23-09-2017 @ 18:55 
End of an era.
Member 4646, 1964 posts
Post Edited: 23.09.2017 @ 18:56 PM by Mikeneto
Didn't you say as a teenage rugby player and thrower she squatted 220kg and deadlifted 220kg..
Guessing not at 170kg+ BW.

Just seems you are a feeder.
danbaseleyIcon...23-09-2017 @ 19:17 
Member 1252, 4468 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 23.09.2017 @ 19:18 PM by danbaseley
PaulSavage said:
Dude talking a load of crap on the internet doesn't accomplish anything. Saying I said something I didn't also accomplishes nothing.
Why are you trying to down other people? What's wrong with your life that you think this is a good use of your time? What do you feel you get out of this? Seems entirely pointless to me.

Paul, you are THE MAN when it comes to grip training.

But the stream of consciousness that you let forth on various subjects according to self-agrandising critiques of your own wonderful abilities, beggars belief.

Because you have a strong grip - and can hold a rod - does not mean you are the dernier cri on all things athletic.

You take constructive, well ordered criticism - a la AMH POWER - badly, to the point of looking arrogant.

You pass off the physical achievements of your girlfriend as almost solely down to your own "wondrous" training regimen. Which you believe is beyond reproach.

And you diminish the bravery and fortitude of all those who take their lives in their hands when entering the squared circle, with your unqualified appraisal of your ability as a pugilist.

That is behaviour which is not beyond reproach.
General_illIcon...23-09-2017 @ 19:18 
3rd place Europes strongest man 2016 U90kg
Member 1239, 13275 posts
SQ 280, BP 155, DL 310
745.0 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
Think next year I’ll become WRC Champion.
PaulSavageIcon...23-09-2017 @ 19:33 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
General_ill said:Think next year I’ll become WRC Champion.

Awesome dude. Best of luck.
PaulSavageIcon...23-09-2017 @ 19:39 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 23.09.2017 @ 19:45 PM by PaulSavage
danbaseley said:
Paul, you are THE MAN when it comes to grip training.
But the stream of consciousness that you let forth on various subjects according to self-agrandising critiques of your own wonderful abilities, beggars belief.
Because you have a strong grip - and can hold a rod - does not mean you are the dernier cri on all things athletic.
You take constructive, well ordered criticism - a la AMH POWER - badly, to the point of looking arrogant.
You pass off the physical achievements of your girlfriend as almost solely down to your own "wondrous" training regimen. Which you believe is beyond reproach.
And you diminish the bravery and fortitude of all those who take their lives in their hands when entering the squared circle, with your unqualified appraisal of your ability as a pugilist.
That is behaviour which is not beyond reproach.

Being this negative and completely changing things I've said, then trying to pass them off as things ive actually said, whilst mocking me, is not criticism. I never said it was solely down to my training of her, that's a huge part of it, but its also her effort and ability to 'push to the brink' when it matters and perform when it matters along with a lot of other factors. You can mock my coaching/programs all you like, the results show the truth. I have the upmost respect for all boxers, my self believe has nothing to do with them or lack of respect for boxing.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions