Relationships and lifting

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

FAT_SAMIconRelationships and lifting27-01-2017 @ 03:19 
more like 'FAT TROLL'
Member 984, 6331 posts
SQ 420, BP 260, DL 335
1015.0 kgs @ 165kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 27.01.2017 @ 03:29 AM by FAT_SAM
What do your significant others think of your lifting habits?
Does it cause fissures and arguments?
Is it worse during comp prep?
Does tren dick cause issues in your relationship?

I am 7 weeks out and the wife is sick to death of it all. Not missing meals. Having to train etc. Me being tired/sore 24/7. Can't blame her. Powerlifting sucks.

If she reads this thread I doubt I'll get laid again before comp.

Discuss.
KevC86Icon...27-01-2017 @ 05:06 
Member 5141, 4186 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
I cant see anything in this thread that would stop you getting laid???

Mine is very supportive. I get away with nonsense like getting up at this time of day just to get an hours training in before we start the day.

Without her to feed me and generally look after me its doubtful id have ever gotten round to competing.
yiannisIcon...27-01-2017 @ 06:42 
'Laurel'
Member 4532, 484 posts
SQ 260, BP 175, DL 270
705.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
My missus can be supportive but other times can be a dick!

Sick of me talking about it but i make sure i tell her on a day to day basis what my pb's are and what i want at the end of each program.

It just winds me up when ive got heavy squats that day and shes trying to talk to me about doing the washing up or not cleaning the sink of my beard hairs lol.

Fair play to her tho she does come to most my comps and has even done one her self so swings and roundabouts really.
JohnIcon...27-01-2017 @ 08:46 
#biggef
Member 5263, 3492 posts
SQ 260, BP 195, DL 260
715.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
My wife is hit and miss sometimes she's ok with it sometimes not ,she often wants me to take the six+ summer hols off so I can help with the kids,

I can still help I'm only at the gym a few hours 4days a week,I can't take 6 weeks off. she likened it to her not having coffee with her mates for six weeks arghh lol.

Making sure I spend time with the Mrs my 3 kids work and gym is tiresome sometimes.but as much as I love lifting family has to come first.don't want to regret not spending time with them when I'm crippled and old,ultimately I will end up that way wether I lift or not.
matthewvcIcon...27-01-2017 @ 09:00 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3207 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
Women generally don't have the anything like the level of passion and focus men have. Probably testosterone/estrogen influenced. To them your interests are something that gets in the way of 'relationship' and domestication stuff.
Glad I'm not married anymore my life was so different and constrained then.

IME Good luck finding a woman who even fully commits to competition goals let alone anything involving trenbolognaise sauce.
BimIcon...27-01-2017 @ 09:23 
6:19.WTF
Member 3359, 3677 posts
SQ 250, BP 210, DL 295
755.0 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 27.01.2017 @ 09:23 AM by Bim
Can't fault mine to be honest, she lets me get away with training pretty much when I want and looks after the kids while I'm doing it. Also get good support in the lead up to a comp, and comes along with the kids sometimes which I like. I think it's a two way street though, and I try to help her with whatever is going on in her life as well, works pretty well most of the time.
FAT_SAMIcon...27-01-2017 @ 09:33 
more like 'FAT TROLL'
Member 984, 6331 posts
SQ 420, BP 260, DL 335
1015.0 kgs @ 165kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 27.01.2017 @ 09:44 AM by FAT_SAM
May I be a nosey t**t, Matt, and ask if your love of lifting and fast cars contributed to the break down of your marriage? I imagine most women will view both of these past times as selfish (younger ones may find it 'cool' that you have muscle and drive a nice set of wheels - that is until they realise that it comes before they do ha ha).

My wife thinks I lift to feed an alpha male complex where I have to get on the platform to prove in front of a crowd that I am the strongest in that particular room. She has even said that age 27 that is pretty sad and need to grow up. Whereas I see it that lifting keeps me sane and driven and competition helps keep things on track. Yeah I f**king hate losing but alpha male complex is a bit far. I'd be a mess and not a good person at all if it wasn't for weights.

I don't want to be domesticated, have 2.2 kids and a dog, quit my sport and fade away like 99% of dudes. Only to be old in hospital and die on the wrong end of a syringe driver full of euthanasia drugs when they decide it's too expensive to look after me anymore. Sadly we all end up in that state like John said. I want to have an entry in the record books and be remembered for being a strong mother f**ker. But at the same time I don't want to end up living a lonely life in a caravan tripping over used insulin and tren needles at age 45 either. I guess the way forward is to find a happy medium!

Those of who who have a woman that cooks for you are blessed, if I want to eat 8 times a day I f**king cook them is what I get. Which is fair enough really! Just saying make sure you appreciate it lads! (My post sounds a little less morbid/deep after adding that).
BimIcon...27-01-2017 @ 09:48 
6:19.WTF
Member 3359, 3677 posts
SQ 250, BP 210, DL 295
755.0 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
I think another thing to mention is what would most of us be doing if we weren't obsessed with training? Half the guys I went to school with are a right mess and go to the pub for far more hours in the week than I go to the gym.
The_Lone_WolfIcon...27-01-2017 @ 10:02 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
It can takes it's toll, but it is about give and take I've found.

My missus is currently prepping for a strong woman comp, so I'm helping her along the way. When I last prepped for a comp, she was really good to be fair. I was getting up at 5am to either do cardio or hit the gym etc. Was eating worked out meals and portions etc, and at times a cranky t**t. But she never once complained.

So I have to be fair to her now that she is in prep mode too. I find that as I now just train to keep ticking along, she gives me less room to take the piss. As she sees family time as more important... I kind of get her point haha.
ben66Icon...27-01-2017 @ 10:07 
Why get fat to look big?
Member 1330, 4797 posts
SQ 300, BP 200, DL 305
805.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
My wife lets me get on with it- I train in the morning at 0500 5 times a week, so it doesn't knock into family time. Strongman is the current plan.

She thinks I'm mad though, particularly when i'm competing in bodybuilding, but is generally supportive and doesn't mind me doing my thing and all that it entails. The kids like having a dad who's different to the normal dads, and that keep me going too!

If I stopped training i'd just take up something equally stupid, and it stops me being a grumpy ar****le. Win for me and her.
slimsimIcon...27-01-2017 @ 10:18 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
My ex-wife was the most unsupportive person ever when it came to lifting weights/competing. She only watched 1 of the 10 or so bodybuilding comps I did and that was only because a friends was watching her fella compete.

She used to say it was selfish and came before anything else. It probably did! Looking back, I used to work 10hrs days, get home, spend 30-mins with my daughter (only had 1 then) before she went to bed, then go to the gym from 7:30pm to ~9:30pm and then on a saturday from 1:30-4:30pm. Looking back I'd have been much better off spending more quality time with my kids.

Thankfully, since splitting up I realised that my girls should come first so now pretty much never go to the gym whilst they are with me, unless they are in bed and don't know otherwise.

My current partner is far more supportive and watched me in the only comp I've done in the last 4-years and never moans about me going to the gym, but that's probably because I've tempered my way anyway.

Men aren't designed to be domesticated. You can't domesticate a f**king wolf.
scruffmcbuffIcon...27-01-2017 @ 10:20 
Lovely ass Congrats.
Member 5958, 2315 posts
SQ 280, BP 170, DL 300
750.0 kgs @ 138kgs UnEq
I cant really say much. My Mrs grew up with a WPC world champ for a father so i got it easy.
I do find it a struggle with kids and as they have grown found my total less important.
matthewvcIcon...27-01-2017 @ 10:27 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3207 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
FAT_SAM said:May I be a nosey t**t, Matt, and ask if your love of lifting and fast cars contributed to the break down of your marriage? I imagine most women will view both of these past times as selfish (younger ones may find it 'cool' that you have muscle and drive a nice set of wheels - that is until they realise that it comes before they do ha ha).

My wife thinks I lift to feed an alpha male complex where I have to get on the platform to prove in front of a crowd that I am the strongest in that particular room. She has even said that age 27 that is pretty sad and need to grow up. Whereas I see it that lifting keeps me sane and driven and competition helps keep things on track. Yeah I f**king hate losing but alpha male complex is a bit far. I'd be a mess and not a good person at all if it wasn't for weights.

I don't want to be domesticated, have 2.2 kids and a dog, quit my sport and fade away like 99% of dudes. Only to be old in hospital and die on the wrong end of a syringe driver full of euthanasia drugs when they decide it's too expensive to look after me anymore. Sadly we all end up in that state like John said. I want to have an entry in the record books and be remembered for being a strong mother f**ker. But at the same time I don't want to end up living a lonely life in a caravan tripping over used insulin and tren needles at age 45 either. I guess the way forward is to find a happy medium!

Those of who who have a woman that cooks for you are blessed, if I want to eat 8 times a day I f**king cook them is what I get. Which is fair enough really! Just saying make sure you appreciate it lads! (My post sounds a little less morbid/deep after adding that).

my marriage breakdown: i was being abused (phyiscally and mentally) and controlled at all levels, was not really to do with a battle of wills over passions. much darker - i had 'no passions' or 'life' really just relentless control. only since i walked out (which is now 5 years) that i have had the time and money to indulge the lifting and cars (mainly from being able to do contracting which is a single man's game). I did a bit of weight training when married, but it was intermittent and very much on her terms.

agree about ageing but i think my experience has made me very nihilistic and self-destructive. i truly don't care if i die in the next 10-15 years as long as can do something interesting and exciting with my life. decaying with alzheimers in a care home for 10 years (like both my grans) because i ate my 5-a-day and lived a non-extreme life does not appeal one bit.
BillytheoldIcon...27-01-2017 @ 11:09 
Sugdens crazy old person.
Member 4936, 7288 posts
SQ 270, BP 155, DL 270
695.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Not paying for my plane tickets and the price skyrocketied before bouncing checks at comps, leaving lights on in car, leaving in the middle of the night car battery dead. I cannot start to explain because no one would believe me. If your dreams are fulfilled you are a true champion plus bro. I last powerlifting nats I had to leave the comp to have money wired to me. Some stranger put my entry fee on his card hard to believe aye? Hotel in Texas and vegas had til get adopted grandma to pay. I have money too. She is jealous. Win win. You will only win with love though. I must press post before i
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...27-01-2017 @ 11:18 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22018 posts
At one stage I was going out to the garage late at night when she was asleep to perform a zercher or strict press!

I'm sure seeing the yellow finger extensor band opening and closing out of the corner of her eye when she's trying to watch TV causes some irritation Grin

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions