News From The GBPF EXEC - Suspended Lifters

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Tom_MartinIcon...19-05-2016 @ 12:34 
No one believed him anyway.
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
PeteHodgson said:
To be fair Tom, that's only relevant if you're strong. Which is your own fault. If you were a fair bit weaker you'd fm find more people would've believed you.
So there!
:-)

Completely true! This however makes the goal of being the strongest drug free lifter a pretty hollow pursuit. Should you ever cross that finish line, everybody will HATE YOU FOR BEING A CHEATING c**t.

Another funny realisation. the same people who HATE drug cheats and mistakenly hate those natural lifters who do excel, LOVE the guys in untested feds who openly take the substances they thought they were hating the natural lifters for probably taking.

So -
natural + world class talent = drug cheat scum c**t s**t bag
openly using = much more respect for not being a cheating c**t, even though the cheating c**t wasn't even a cheating c**t.
CuddlesIcon...19-05-2016 @ 12:38 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Tom_Martin said:People react strangely to failed drugs tests. A lot of people take the stance of "well, if he got caught, then how many others must be doing it and getting away with it". Drug testing is not random, it is definitely targeted in the GBPF. A failed test and a banned cheat is surely a triumph of drug testing, not an exposure of how flawed the system "must be".

The real kicker is, if all drug tests came back clean, you all cry about how easy it must be to pass a test if no one failed, and by extension, everyone must be taking drugs.

So you can't win either way, either no one fails because drug testing is too s**t to catch anyone, or when cheats do get caught it means there must be hundreds of other cheats that didn't get caught.

A big consideration when moving to untested powerlifting for me was "NO ONE f**kING BELIEVES YOU ANYWAY".

This is an interesting point. Cycling often gets described as one of the dirtiest sports because of the number of failed tests. The authorities argue that it's actually one of the cleaner sports because it catches and bans so many drug cheats.

I'm not sure I know which I believe to be true, but I can completely understand the point that people will believe what they want to believe either way.
matthewvcIcon...19-05-2016 @ 12:41 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3221 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
KevC86 said:Id be curious what you think the ratio of users vs non-users is Tom?

Based on the very small sample this thread covers it suggests about 1 in 7 in the GBPF.

I cant begin to understand why you think so few of the untested lifters are using? Surely a huge part of the reasoning behind lifting untested is to allow freedom to use whatever people want (i appreciate this could as easily be recreational drugs and wont always necessarily be AAS)

I chose GPC initially because it was:

a) convenient comp near me at time
b) allowed knee wraps which i prefer.
c) looked to be selling powerlifting more as an 'extreme sport' (i like this), than the somewhat dry GBPF/BDPFA format.

most people i've talked to in the fed had similar non-gear reasons for starting out with this fed.
if we choose to board the enanthate express later on is beside the point, but at least if we do, we do it with a clear conscience ;-)
Tom_MartinIcon...19-05-2016 @ 12:41 
No one believed him anyway.
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
KevC86 said:Id be curious what you think the ratio of users vs non-users is Tom?

Based on the very small sample this thread covers it suggests about 1 in 7 in the GBPF.

I cant begin to understand why you think so few of the untested lifters are using? Surely a huge part of the reasoning behind lifting untested is to allow freedom to use whatever people want (i appreciate this could as easily be recreational drugs and wont always necessarily be AAS)

To put it as bluntly as possible, the vast majority of powerlifters are s**t, and there are thousands of them in the country. GPC isn't a mecca of strength achievement, only ascended to after surpassing the natural talent in the country. It is full of s**t lifters doing their first comp who have been in the gym less than 1 year, just like every other fed. Most of them can't even wrap their head around an arena that openly allows them to use steroids. Probably still indoctrinated into thinking steroid users are worse than child molesters.

Top 10 wilks in each of the untested feds? All *probably* on gear.
Top 10 wilks in the GBPF? Extremely likely to not be the people who are cheating in the GBPF. Most likely to be on the next rung down flying under the radar trying to make it into the "big time". Small percentage, maybe 5% at a guess.
RickIcon...19-05-2016 @ 12:50 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10034 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
I agree with Tom. If you're in the GBPF and going overseas in a position to challenge for medals - i.e. If you're genuinely good - you're gonna get tested a lot.

I've never been tested, because I'm pants.
LessThanLukeIcon...19-05-2016 @ 12:50 
his poor male ego must be crushed
Member 883, 6251 posts
SQ 290, BP 180, DL 420
890.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 19.05.2016 @ 12:51 PM by LessThanLuke
matthewvc said:
c) looked to be selling powerlifting more as an 'extreme sport' (i like this), than the somewhat dry GBPF/BDPFA format.
most people i've talked to in the fed had similar non-gear reasons for starting out with this fed.
if we choose to board the enanthate express later on is beside the point, but at least if we do, we do it with a clear conscience ;-)

Yup. 1/3rd of the GBPF is a silly figure. I don't even think it would be close to 1/3 of the untested feds. Most people don't like the idea of drugs... Go to a GPC/BPU comp, there will be a s**t tonne of novices and women. These people aren't f**king juicing.
PeteHodgsonIcon...19-05-2016 @ 13:04 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Best case scenario for lifter in drug tested federation: be ok. A bit above average.
Sounds awesome!
FAT_SAMIcon...19-05-2016 @ 13:11 
more like 'FAT TROLL'
Member 984, 6331 posts
SQ 420, BP 260, DL 335
1015.0 kgs @ 165kgs UnEq
Tom_Martin said:
As a strength athlete, the motivation to win a competition at the expense of lifting less weight baffles me sometimes.

This
scruffmcbuffIcon...19-05-2016 @ 13:14 
Lovely ass Congrats.
Member 5958, 2315 posts
SQ 280, BP 170, DL 300
750.0 kgs @ 138kgs UnEq
LessThanLuke said:
Yup. 1/3rd of the GBPF is a silly figure. I don't even think it would be close to 1/3 of the untested feds. Most people don't like the idea of drugs... Go to a GPC/BPU comp, there will be a s**t tonne of novices and women. These people aren't f**king juicing.

id agree with that. Alot of people doing thier first comp, just getting started in powerlifting its unlikely they are juiced.
It is of course an endless argument and i think tom hit the nail on the head.
Its a shame a natural athlete will never get an accolade for his achievements.
matthewvcIcon...19-05-2016 @ 13:16 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3221 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
Rick said:I agree with Tom. If you're in the GBPF and going overseas in a position to challenge for medals - i.e. If you're genuinely good - you're gonna get tested a lot.

a 175kg bench is hardly pants!
SteveIcon...19-05-2016 @ 14:06 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
Whilst I would hope/guess in the GBPF the number of cheats is actually very small I suspect it's very different at an International level in the IPF where I suspect there are a far higher number of cheats especially amongst the top lifters.
newhybridIcon...19-05-2016 @ 14:15 
Member 3714, 637 posts
SQ 265, BP 177.5, DL 265
707.5 kgs @ 97kgs Eq
JonA81 said:

Grin

lol!

its a valid point though. Clomid is used to treat male factor infertility, which is pretty much what PCT is.
newhybridIcon...19-05-2016 @ 14:21 
Member 3714, 637 posts
SQ 265, BP 177.5, DL 265
707.5 kgs @ 97kgs Eq
Rick said:I agree with Tom. If you're in the GBPF and going overseas in a position to challenge for medals - i.e. If you're genuinely good - you're gonna get tested a lot.

interestingly enough, Gerry MacNamara who's now a committee member and lifter in the GPC, but did lift in the IPF for several years previously stated the complete opposite. he reckoned they tested the guys who were lower doing the pecking order because they figured they'd come back negative. while avoiding testing the top lifters as positive tests on their 'stars' would be bad for the fed.
EvisIcon...19-05-2016 @ 14:23 
Member 2202, 346 posts
SQ 282.5, BP 220, DL 320.5
823.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
Steve said:Whilst I would hope/guess in the GBPF the number of cheats is actually very small I suspect it's very different at an International level in the IPF where I suspect there are a far higher number of cheats especially amongst the top lifters.

To me it seems like within the IPF at the moment you have some very gifted natural athletes and then you have some less gifted but enhanced lifters. I dont believe every gold medal to be by someone who at some point has done drugs.

The Russians seem to be as dirty as they are made out to be. The coach of the Russian IPF team Sergey Ivanov is the same guy who was coaching Lovchev at IWF Worlds. He is now also involved with some IPF lifters from Brazil and Ecuador. Which is not great.
newhybridIcon...19-05-2016 @ 14:23 
Member 3714, 637 posts
SQ 265, BP 177.5, DL 265
707.5 kgs @ 97kgs Eq
Post Edited: 19.05.2016 @ 14:24 PM by newhybrid
matthewvc said:

i lift with them for those reasons also but mainly because they actually value and care about their lifters. your not treated like a cash cow there to be milked dry as with a certain other fed.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions