REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 183 guests

Need some advice on Strongman/Powerlifting

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

McMuffin_GainsIconNeed some advice on Strongman/Powerlifting19-04-2015 @ 14:37 
Help me rescue my Insulina.
Member 5366, 1090 posts
Post Edited: 19.04.2015 @ 14:38 PM by McMuffin_Gains
After some advice from people on either side or pehaps people who have been in a similar situation.

Apologies in advance if I sound like I'm whining like a f**ktard with the estrogen levels of a 13 year old girl.

Basically I have a predicament.

I've been training for strongman for just over a year and a half and in that time have competed twice. I have never done amazingly and never really 'enjoyed' it. I have a competition in May which I should be buzzing my tits off about but instead I'm not really looking forward to it and truth be told, it's starting to annoy me as I feel that training for this comp is getting in the way of making strength gains in the gym (the comp is very rep based and my training more like that of a powerlifter).

This leads me to think why am I doing this if I don't enjoy it? Why am I not powerlifting instead? Something I enjoy training.

Strongman:
  • I don't actually enjoy event training, I never get the same sense of satisfaction
  • It's harder for me to train events. I lack time, equipment and facilities. What I do have is either bought or homemade and training moving events is a ball ache involving loading the van up with equipment and s**t loads of weight and going to a car park somewhere.
  • It is costing me way too much money. Some guys are lucky to have great gyms with everything they need. If I need something I have to either make it or buy it, both cost money
  • I'm going to be moving home soon and as a first time buyer it will be a lot smaller than where I am renting and probably won't have a garage. I don't have room for this stuff in a small property.
  • I don't feel I'd be missing out by not 'doing' strongman as I don't really 'do' strongman as it is.

Powerlifting:
  • Squat
  • Bench
  • Deadlift
  • Everything you need is at the gym
  • I have a very geeky brain and love percentages and spreadsheets, powerlifting is far more predictable than strongman
  • Although there are winners at meets, it is more centred on been the best you can be as a lifter even if you have the lowest total or lowest wilks you are still there trying to better yourself. Strongman - if you lose - you're s**t basically Grin
  • The only drawbacks switching to PL would be having to drop weight, stop hitching and start pulling strapless and altering the way I wrap for squats (if at all)

All that said, is the grass really greener? I certainly know I would enjoy training for PL more than SM and it plays to my strengths of static speed/strength as opposed to agility and endurance.

I might choose not to compete at all and just lift for me. It's what I seem to enjoy the most. I know I'm strong (compared to joe public) I don't NEED competition to validate that for me.

Any input? Anyone else been stuck here before? Maybe I've just started my period, f**k knows. Grin
hifiloverIcon...19-04-2015 @ 14:41 
Member 3241, 2043 posts
SQ 1, BP 192, DL 255
448.0 kgs @ 136kgs UnEq
Stick to powerlifting!

Learn the ropes, regs and rules

You've already got a solid deadlift and squat, get your bench up a bit more and you'll have a superb all-round total Cool (saying that you've already got a frigging good total)!

Just try that for 6months to a year and see how you get on; get yourself to a few local comps (even if you're not lifting) to see how the atmosphere is, how they're run and what similar lifters are like and at least then you'll know what you'll need to aim for Grin
AaronJIcon...19-04-2015 @ 14:42 
Intolerant of old shtick.
Member 5276, 431 posts
SQ 222, BP 145, DL 265
632.0 kgs @ 96kgs UnEq
Why confine yourself to either sport? Personally I found competing in PL immensely boring.

Pick the elements from each that you enjoy, and focus on enjoying your training.
FazcIcon...19-04-2015 @ 14:46 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
McMuffin_Gains said:I have never done amazingly and never really 'enjoyed' it. I have a competition in May which I should be buzzing my tits off about but instead I'm not really looking forward to it...

Seems you already know what you want to do.

It's just a hobby, no point if you don't enjoy it.
fctilidieIcon...19-04-2015 @ 15:54 
Grandad Goatse
Member 2494, 5035 posts
SQ 120, BP 110, DL 125
355.0 kgs @ 67kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 19.04.2015 @ 15:55 PM by fctilidie
I felt the same when I had comps coming up. I decided to forget about comps and get back to just enjoying my training, it was a very good decision looking back at it.
deleted2_20210523Icon...19-04-2015 @ 16:00 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...19-04-2015 @ 16:35 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22044 posts
Strongman can be a pain to train for. We had to shift kit up and down steps. That wasn't too bad when a few of us were training, but when it whittled down to just me it was too much hassle/effort. Complaints from members of the public added to that resulted in me not doing enough event training.
KillelayIcon...19-04-2015 @ 16:43 
Member 5031, 1417 posts
SQ 230, BP 140, DL 275
645.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
WTF did I just read. Do powerlifting then you minge Wink
And if you don't win in strongman, you can still beat PBs and other people...
unit94Icon...19-04-2015 @ 16:49 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10443 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
Post Edited: 19.04.2015 @ 16:49 PM by unit94
Here is my honest (c**t) answer

As far as I can tell powerlifting is really really boring however there are 4 reasons I could see someone switching to pl for

1. It's much easier, no running around in a medley killing yourself or feeling like getting crushed under a big yoke etc

2. Emphasis on beating yourself instead of others which always seems strange to me but it gives you alot less emphasis on winning which to me would just be an excuse to lose.

3. So many different feds its easy to pick up national and world records" so its easy to stroke your ego or show off to people especially that dont know the sport.

4. Competition is so spread out so its easy to win without rying in alot of comps with all the different categories.

This is different if youre gonna compete in a proper fed and actually want to win.
deleted2_20210523Icon...19-04-2015 @ 16:58 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted
unit94Icon...19-04-2015 @ 17:03 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10443 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
kirkynick said:Some people would argue that strongman isn't a proper sport, Unit. Some people like a 'sport' that is predictable i.e. the equipment is always the same, as are the rules, regardless of the place the comp is held. However, the myriad of powerlifting feds has tainted that a little.

Also, you are very competitive. Others are not. Some people enjoy strength and strength feats without necessarily wanting to compete much. To you as a very competitive person, i'm sure this seems strange.

As you wereTongue

You are exactly right lol however the feds thing has very much tainted the "proper" sport aspect of things
McMuffin_GainsIcon...19-04-2015 @ 17:21 
Help me rescue my Insulina.
Member 5366, 1090 posts
unit94 said:Here is my honest (c**t) answer

As far as I can tell powerlifting is really really boring however there are 4 reasons I could see someone switching to pl for

1. It's much easier, no running around in a medley killing yourself or feeling like getting crushed under a big yoke etc

2. Emphasis on beating yourself instead of others which always seems strange to me but it gives you alot less emphasis on winning which to me would just be an excuse to lose.

3. So many different feds its easy to pick up national and world records" so its easy to stroke your ego or show off to people especially that dont know the sport.

4. Competition is so spread out so its easy to win without rying in alot of comps with all the different categories.

This is different if youre gonna compete in a proper fed and actually want to win.

1. Yes it is easier and therefore more enjoyable. If I'm not too bothered about competing then why go out of my way with dragging equipment out only to not enjoy the training. It may be different if I trained in a a gym which had the equipment and I could just chuck the weight on and go but right now its just a pain in the arse.

2. I see no problem with bettering ones self. It's not an excuse to 'lose' as such. I get more satisfaction by beating my own lifts than I do others. If I beat myself then I'm getting stronger. If I beat someone else it simply means I am stronger than them.

3 and 4 I don't know enough about to comment. I see a lot of s**t slinging between different feds and thus puts me off to a degree.

I wouldn't like to think I'd give up SM alltogether, when trained to enjoy it, it can be fun. I don't like how unpredictable it can be, equipment always varies and that just makes it harder to train. I did 320 yoke in last comp and cant even move 280 on mine.

I also think I would enjoy open level a lot more if I was strong enough. Too much bulls**t politics and range of ability in the novice/inters comps. At least in opens its a level playing field and you know where you stand.
PhillippeHalterIcon...19-04-2015 @ 17:49 
Are horror films healthy...?
Member 5449, 2203 posts
In terms of personal progression you more than likely want to stick to powerlifting as they is an actual sport

Also many quite rightly commit to powerlifting knowing that they will improve whereas this can't always be said by all that do strongman

The above points are merely an expression of opinion though and as such there will be those that agree and those that also who for whatever reason have a differing view point

Get a group of other power lifters and enjoy the social element of training... Maybe even take part in team sports at weekends. You will only be better for it
samevansIcon...19-04-2015 @ 18:06 
just got PM'd
Member 1945, 685 posts
I used to do a lot of strongman. It is ace but required a far greater time commitment as I had no car and nearly always meant Saturday train which was both good... really great time with the lads and bad missed other weekend pass times. I did occasionally train events alone but setting up a medley solo was not much fun.

I did love SM comps.

I now train for pl which I also fun but requires loads less time and commitment I personally would say.

I think the social and competing side of sm could potentially pull me back in when life is quieter but if it didn't have the social element and I did not enjoy the comps I would not even consider it. It seems sm is missing those aspects for you.

Why not switch over after the summer season as it were and the you'll not miss out on much either way?
LurkioIcon...19-04-2015 @ 18:07 
as deep as his fat little body will allow
Member 265, 4173 posts
SQ 222.5, BP 142.5, DL 235
600.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 19.04.2015 @ 18:08 PM by Lurkio
I'm biased as I'm too weak, too small, and now too old to do Strongman.

But if you are not enjoying it, then try Powerlifting! Give it a whirl for a while, and join a decent Federation that's not going to offer a world record at every comp!

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions