REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 184 guests

Maintaining strength whilst dropping bodyweight

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

PaulSavageIcon...28-09-2016 @ 10:44 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
matthewvc said:
and that's the point, until you take a max of the floor, paul you're just guessing. - 15" partials and axels and whatever may address a weakness initially.. and is it a weakness? if you're weak off the floor, 260 x 2 off 15" sounds 'about right' for a 280 pull. getting strong at 15" won't fix weak back/quads from a full range pull.

I haven't actually made a guess, it's very hard to say and completely unimportant to me at this point, I only said what I can't see it being less than.

Yes it's definately a weakness, that was 260 x 2 from 18" with a 280 pull from the floor. I'm even weaker from 15", my best pull from 15" was 240 when I'd done 280 and I could only have done about 10kg more on it. The reason is that I have to start with the bar way out infront to get any leg drive in from that position. From the floor the bar is much further back and I can get more legs into it and pop the bar off the floor and get through the sticking points (below the knee from 15-20").
PaulSavageIcon...28-09-2016 @ 10:48 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
AdamT said:I have 4 inch blocks. How much more should I be able to pull for a max single? I think I'd be lucky to get 20-30kg more.

I understand everyone is different, but would be curious to see the difference some of you guys have from varying heights!

It depends on height and how long the legs and back are, arm length, and what muscles are weak or strong. What is generally the case though is if you are short you should be a good bit stronger as you heighten the bar.
AMH_PowerIcon...28-09-2016 @ 11:37 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:
It depends on height and how long the legs and back are, arm length, and what muscles are weak or strong. What is generally the case though is if you are short you should be a good bit stronger as you heighten the bar.

Height as minimal effect on deadlift. Taller people are generally better at deadlift as limb lengths are longer, in particular arms lengths. If a shorter person stands next to a taller person and let their arms hang down, there may be a foot in height difference but only a 4 inch difference in where the fingers end when hanging. In conventional the mechanical weakness (disregard muscular) is just below the knee as the moment arm against the spine is greatest here.
A taller lifter has a longer window to create a higher velocity when hitting this weakness. If a short lifter and tall lifter exerts 2000N of force to a load requiring 1500N, the velocity will be greater in the same relative position on the taller lifter (but so will time as displacement is greater).

If the weak area requires 2500N of force as seen by the joints, then momentum may see this area carried through even though the force demand isn't met. The taller lifter having this velocity is less likely to fail at the mechanical weakness.

In fact, tall lifters with good start strength dominate the conventional deadlift for this very reason.
danbaseleyIcon...28-09-2016 @ 11:56 
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4475 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
AMH_Power said:
Height as minimal effect on deadlift. Taller people are generally better at deadlift as limb lengths are longer, in particular arms lengths. If a shorter person stands next to a taller person and let their arms hang down, there may be a foot in height difference but only a 4 inch difference in where the fingers end when hanging. In conventional the mechanical weakness (disregard muscular) is just below the knee as the moment arm against the spine is greatest here.
A taller lifter has a longer window to create a higher velocity when hitting this weakness. If a short lifter and tall lifter exerts 2000N of force to a load requiring 1500N, the velocity will be greater in the same relative position on the taller lifter (but so will time as displacement is greater).
If the weak area requires 2500N of force as seen by the joints, then momentum may see this area carried through even though the force demand isn't met. The taller lifter having this velocity is less likely to fail at the mechanical weakness.
In fact, tall lifters with good start strength dominate the conventional deadlift for this very reason.

You really do bring a wonderful sense of reality, reason and perspective to threads.
scruffmcbuffIcon...28-09-2016 @ 11:59 
Lovely ass Congrats.
Member 5958, 2315 posts
SQ 280, BP 170, DL 300
750.0 kgs @ 138kgs UnEq
AMH_Power said:

What! letting knowledge drop like rain!
PaulSavageIcon...28-09-2016 @ 12:00 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 28.09.2016 @ 12:01 PM by PaulSavage
AMH_Power said:

Taller people can certainly be good at deadlift with the right leverages definately, but in terms of lifting from height, shorter people tend to have a big advantage. If I do an 18" deadlift the bar is 3" below my knee, if someone of 5'8 does it the bar could be above the knee cap. I can lift massively more from above the knee than below and they not only have the bar above the knee but also don't have to move it as far. Overall being tall for strongman is better though, it's a big person sport for sure.
AdamTIcon...28-09-2016 @ 12:00 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5206 posts
AMH_Power said:

What if you're tall and have short arms? My curse!

Grin Grin
AMH_PowerIcon...28-09-2016 @ 12:05 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
AdamT said:
Grin Grin

Uh oh haha.

If you have short legs, long spine, short arms, s**t ham strings... Then I'd worry.
matthewvcIcon...28-09-2016 @ 12:09 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3221 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
AdamT said:
Grin Grin

the only solution is every day is bench day. tight tops, skinny fit jeans and a fake tan.
BigMaccaIcon...28-09-2016 @ 12:13 
understanding of the sport, little he has.
Member 798, 9942 posts
SQ 260, BP 150, DL 272.5
682.5 kgs @ 82.5kgs UnEq
For me, it's always relatively simple to drop fat whilst retaining strength.

I simply switch to eating zero carbs (under 20g a day), high fat and moderate protein during the week and carbing up at the weekend.

Alongside the above, I obviously have to adjust my training - I move from doing any type of complicated program to just hitting a couple of sets of 5 reps on my basic lifts with some assistance work.

So 16 weeks ago I got back from a near 3 week holiday in Florida weighing close to 100kg ( Eek )

I was also in France for 2 weeks (nothing but drinking and eating Happy ), 8 weeks ago.

As of Saturday morning, I'm back down to 88.5kg with abs Happy

Strength-wise, on Saturday I hit;

Squat - 250kg x 5 (easy)
Bench - 145kg x 5 (paused)
Deadlift - 245kg x 5 (very hard)

Note - no cardio at all

This is pretty much where I was before I went to Florida Happy

I'm back into a normal training cycle this week, so have switched back to eating no carbs / high fat / moderate protein on non-training days and in the day on training days then smashing carbs after training.

I'll hopefully lean out a bit more over the next couple of weeks as well Happy

Macca
AdamTIcon...28-09-2016 @ 12:14 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5206 posts
AMH_Power said:
Uh oh haha.
If you have short legs, long spine, short arms, s**t ham strings... Then I'd worry.

I have quite long legs.

I have been mimicking Misha's deadlift recently. Get into a clean position and let the hips rise just before I pull.

I think it has really worked on my speed. I have never been great at reps for deadlifts. But this style has helped me loads.
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...28-09-2016 @ 12:14 
Lost his pen, then found his pen. #phew
Member 4899, 2956 posts
AMH_Power said:
Uh oh haha.

Sounds like Luke Iams disease.. Happy
AdamTIcon...28-09-2016 @ 12:15 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5206 posts
Post Edited: 28.09.2016 @ 12:15 PM by AdamT
BimIcon...28-09-2016 @ 12:26 
6:19.WTF
Member 3359, 3677 posts
SQ 250, BP 210, DL 295
755.0 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
BigMacca said:This is pretty much where I was before I went to Florida Happy

That is different from retaining strength gained from bulking though. Personally I find it easy to lose weight I have gained recently and keep my lift strength, the problems arise when I have gained strength on a bulk and then try to cut weight. Lets face it, if it was possible to do consistently everyone would bulk / gain strength then cut and retain the strength / repeat.
AdamTIcon...28-09-2016 @ 12:39 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5206 posts
Does tren not help with retaining strength, while on a cut??

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions