Injury Help Please!

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

LuuuuuukeyIconInjury Help Please!17-09-2010 @ 15:09 
Hill sprints are fun!
Member 731, 3253 posts
SQ 200, BP 127.5, DL 232.5
560.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Right..

A few weeks back after squatting my left calf felt really tight and painful, more than it would if it was just sore from training. Since then during squat warm ups it has been kind of uncomfortable, but after warming up its been fine.

However, today when I tried to squat I managed 5 reps with the bar before I was in some serious pain. Tried to carry on. Put 60kg on the bar, squatted about 2 inches down and felt this weird popping/snapping sensation in my calf.

I can't squat down lower than an inch or two now without serious pain and my calf tightening up. I've tried to force through it, but its like my leg just won't bend. Also really hurts my calf if I curl my toes.

Just got back from the doctors and the nurse I saw basically said she can't tell whats wrong with it because of it being inflamed so I've got to dose myself up on ibuprofen, keep the leg elevated and go back to see a doctor on Wednesday so they can tell me what's up.

I don't want to wait until Wednesday though, I want to know now, mainly because Monday is supposed to be my last heavy squat session before competing!!

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Or does anyone have any idea what I've done?

HELP!

Competing on 2nd October is looking a bit doubtful now. Unhappy
Doc_DIcon...17-09-2010 @ 15:44 
please use accurate taxonomy in our communication
Member 871, 469 posts
SQ 240, BP 137.5, DL 262.5
640.0 kgs @ 89kgs Eq
Where in the calf? Gastrocnemius or soleus? How's walking?
bryceIcon...17-09-2010 @ 15:46 
Juice loose aboot this hoose
Member 1401, 3962 posts
SQ 160, BP 107.5, DL 210
477.5 kgs @ 88kgs UnEq
I would get myself to a good sports physio and tell him that you need to compete.

Only advice I can safely offer. Tongue
LuuuuuukeyIcon...17-09-2010 @ 15:49 
Hill sprints are fun!
Member 731, 3253 posts
560.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Doc_D said:Where in the calf? Gastrocnemius or soleus? How's walking?

Having looked at a diagram and had a poke about on my calf, soleus.

Walking isn't too bad if I keep my knee kind of stiff its just uncomfortable and pretty painful walking up a slope or steps.

Serious pain only really happens when I try to do any kind of squat movement or curl my toes backwards.
LuuuuuukeyIcon...17-09-2010 @ 15:50 
Hill sprints are fun!
Member 731, 3253 posts
560.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
bryce said:I would get myself to a good sports physio and tell him that you need to compete.

Only advice I can safely offer. Tongue

Haha!

When I saw the nurse the first thing I did was explain I'm competing soon and didn't want to be told I shouldn't squat.

First thing she said was not to squat.
bryceIcon...17-09-2010 @ 16:00 
Member 1401, 3962 posts
SQ 160, BP 107.5, DL 210
477.5 kgs @ 88kgs UnEq
Luuuuuukey said:
Haha!
When I saw the nurse the first thing I did was explain I'm competing soon and didn't want to be told I shouldn't squat.
First thing she said was not to squat.

Had exactly the same with a GP on my shoulder injury which hurt when I bench. Got told not to do it. Thats why I go private with physio. My current one is brilliant he wants to get me back to my sport as soon as he can. You can also get an appointment quicker for private physio as well so less waiting. NHS physio takes 6 weeks or so.
LuuuuuukeyIcon...17-09-2010 @ 16:05 
Hill sprints are fun!
Member 731, 3253 posts
560.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
bryce said:
Had exactly the same with a GP on my shoulder injury which hurt when I bench. Got told not to do it. Thats why I go private with physio. My current one is brilliant he wants to get me back to my sport as soon as he can. You can also get an appointment quicker for private physio as well so less waiting. NHS physio takes 6 weeks or so.

Hard up student so private isn't going to happen ha!
bryceIcon...17-09-2010 @ 16:10 
Member 1401, 3962 posts
SQ 160, BP 107.5, DL 210
477.5 kgs @ 88kgs UnEq
Luuuuuukey said:
Hard up student so private isn't going to happen ha!

I went private back at uni with the university sports centre physio - was 15 an hour I think or 30 for non-student. Have a look, some place might give a discount.
Think of it as an investment in your training (like a new belt or shoes etc)
Doc_DIcon...17-09-2010 @ 16:16 
Member 871, 469 posts
640.0 kgs @ 89kgs Eq
The pain from curling toes doesn't strike me as an obvious indicator for the soleus, but if it is the soleus, squatting will not be your friend for a while, I'm afraid, esp. if you squat with a fair degree of forward travel of the knees. On the plus side, depending on the degree of tear, the soleus can recover pretty quickly, but losing the weight forward to any extent when squatting with a damaged soleus can end quite badly. Thus spake a voice of sad experience.
LuuuuuukeyIcon...17-09-2010 @ 16:20 
Hill sprints are fun!
Member 731, 3253 posts
560.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Doc_D said:The pain from curling toes doesn't strike me as an obvious indicator for the soleus, but if it is the soleus, squatting will not be your friend for a while, I'm afraid, esp. if you squat with a fair degree of forward travel of the knees. On the plus side, depending on the degree of tear, the soleus can recover pretty quickly, but losing the weight forward to any extent when squatting with a damaged soleus can end quite badly. Thus spake a voice of sad experience.

I was reading on some physiotherapy website that the soleus is stretched when the knee bends, that is when I feel a s**t load of pain, so I assumed it was that. Might be wrong. Help?

Bugger, no squatting, means no competing, means no qualification for the British, means I'm not happy.
Doc_DIcon...17-09-2010 @ 16:38 
Member 871, 469 posts
640.0 kgs @ 89kgs Eq
Luuuuuukey said:
I was reading on some physiotherapy website that the soleus is stretched when the knee bends, that is when I feel a s**t load of pain, so I assumed it was that.

That's right - and why forward travel of the knee will hurt more (as the angle at the ankle becomes more acute). If you sit with you leg bent at 90 degrees, with your foot flat on the floor, it should hurt if you try to raise the forefoot while keeping the heel on the floor.
LuuuuuukeyIcon...17-09-2010 @ 16:41 
Hill sprints are fun!
Member 731, 3253 posts
560.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Doc_D said:
That's right - and why forward travel of the knee will hurt more (as the angle at the ankle becomes more acute). If you sit with you leg bent at 90 degrees, with your foot flat on the floor, it should hurt if you try to raise the forefoot while keeping the heel on the floor.

Just had a go at doing this... hurts, alot. An awful lot.

Seems we've found out what's up with it! Thanks!
Doc_DIcon...17-09-2010 @ 17:18 
Member 871, 469 posts
640.0 kgs @ 89kgs Eq
Luuuuuukey said:
Just had a go at doing this... hurts, alot. An awful lot.
Seems we've found out what's up with it! Thanks!

Bummer. PLay it by ear, but I think that you'll be struggling to squat for a while. I turned a minor tear into a more serious one by squatting too soon and losing hte rep slightly forward. Not good. Not much you can do, really, but I tend to think that keeping the muscle working within the limits of avoiding further injury is a good idea (rather than complete rest). Gentle, gentle streching and, eventually, massage - and, with time, very painful massage (best done by an expert, but the soleus is quite handy for self massage - a foam roller costs less than a massage session and can hurt you for months. Massage stick is more expensive, but might be worth getting as a present).

Now that you've identified this as a problem area, you'll have to get on top of the problem as soon as you can - in both calves.
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions