REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 29 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.

How young is too young ?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

1234

RusevIcon...17-11-2012 @ 21:40 
Can still nail the snatch
Member 168, 758 posts
SQ 205, BP 90, DL 202.5
497.5 kgs @ 74kgs UnEq
Steve said:
True for powerlifting, but I don't think there have been many top weightlifters who have taken the sport at an older age.



apparently Yanko Rusev only started at 23 after switching from another sport
AKBCIcon...17-11-2012 @ 22:02 
Avatar
Kettlebells RULE !!!
Member 3699, 407 posts
But what other sport Rusev, and how much Oly lifting had he already done for GPP?
MarkIcon...17-11-2012 @ 22:33 
Member.
Member 2171, 1612 posts
My boy did events with me today, tyre flips, overhead plate presses and heavy barrel pushing/rolling.

He could be up the skate park in stead, that would be a lot more dangerous imo lol
CuddlesIcon...18-11-2012 @ 12:29 
Avatar
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12525 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Havent read the whole thread but I have a fair amount of experience teaching/coaching young boys.

I just dont think you can put an age on it. I was at an under 12 rugby festival yesterday, 130-140 11 or 12 year olds. The difference between the extreme ends of the scale in terms of both physical and mental maturity is HUGE.

I coach an under 14 rugby team and we have 14 year olds going on 18 and 14 year olds going on 10. Age just isn't the determinant IMO.
PeteIcon...19-11-2012 @ 02:54 
Avatar
has spent time in a modern educational setting
Member 47, 1226 posts
Cuddles said:Havent read the whole thread but I have a fair amount of experience teaching/coaching young boys.

I just dont think you can put an age on it. I was at an under 12 rugby festival yesterday, 130-140 11 or 12 year olds. The difference between the extreme ends of the scale in terms of both physical and mental maturity is HUGE.

I coach an under 14 rugby team and we have 14 year olds going on 18 and 14 year olds going on 10. Age just isn't the determinant IMO.


As per usual, Mr. Cuddles has provided another balanced post.
hermanIcon...19-11-2012 @ 03:11 
Avatar
hermit
Member 3904, 988 posts
[
Kids will never play football, climb trees, ride bikes or fight and wrestle in a controlled way and so all these activities (which are normal healthy things to do) are more dangerous than lifting weights. JMO


Has anyone every heard of a person who had a lingering injury from someway they hurt themselves as a kid? It almost never happens, the growing body is incredibly resilient and hard to break in the first place.

I think this should be capitalised on, kids should do bold, dangerous, challenging and sometimes wreckless things. Its good for them, and they will not get away with it later.
MarkIcon...19-11-2012 @ 13:19 
Member.
Member 2171, 1612 posts
herman said:
Has anyone every heard of a person who had a lingering injury from someway they hurt themselves as a kid? It almost never happens, the growing body is incredibly resilient and hard to break in the first place.


Broke my thumb skiing when I was 16 (built a jump and landed badly), it is now the cause of poor grip in my right hand Unhappy
RusevIcon...19-11-2012 @ 18:08 
Can still nail the snatch
Member 168, 758 posts
SQ 205, BP 90, DL 202.5
497.5 kgs @ 74kgs UnEq
and i personally first started doing snatches with a broom stick when I was (SEVEN) 7 yrs old and I have had no serious injuries threw weightlifting - a few in football over the years but nothing serious
AKBCIcon...19-11-2012 @ 18:21 
Avatar
Kettlebells RULE !!!
Member 3699, 407 posts
Herman has an interesting point. Through purely empirical observation (so zero actual evidence) pre-pubescent kinds seem to bounce incredibly well and rarely get injured?
serious_peteIcon...21-11-2012 @ 19:01 
Member 2437, 305 posts
SQ 180, BP 90, DL 220
490.0 kgs @ 92kgs UnEq
herman said:

I think this should be capitalised on, kids should do bold, dangerous, challenging and sometimes wreckless things. Its good for them, and they will not get away with it later.


Exactly. And this includes weightlifting
MattD90Icon...22-11-2012 @ 23:34 
Avatar
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3604 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 22.11.2012 @ 23:38 PM by MattD90
Been thinking about this recently, there is diversity even in the narrow world of strength sports.. ie strongman vs weightlifting. Some of the best in strongman didn't even set foot in a gym until late teens and now up there at a world level with the best of them. That's got to be unheard of in weightlifting
seankamoIcon...24-11-2012 @ 20:59 
invite only !
Member 1159, 760 posts
Post Edited: 24.11.2012 @ 22:16 PM by seankamo
I have just read this post... Personally I think if encouraged and coached the right way in the right gym yes. I didn't start weight lifting (properly) until I was 18. I don't know if I really want my son in the enviroment at a young age. Kids nowadays seem so quick to jump on the streoid banddwagon (I'm not starting a debate on steroids or going into this on here) and I think that is what scares the hell out of me.

If my son wishes to get into weight related sports I think I'd advise later on in life let them enjoy being a kid before they indulge themselves into the gym world.

But under the right coach and right gym guidance kept away from the darksides (lol) I think it could be fine for teenagers say senior schools to involve weight lifting into physical education etc

1234

© Sugden Barbell 2019 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto