REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 222 guests

How much protein you actually need?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

little_aIcon...08-11-2007 @ 17:59 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Anyone any idea how much 3K calories of clean food weighs roughly? Assuming someone didnt respire, perform any bodilly functions, s**t, piss, sweat (pardon me - perspireEek ) etc. How many days would it take to get to 150Kg?
JoniIcon...08-11-2007 @ 19:14 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
people who get huge on low calories are not the ones who struggled to nail 100kg bodyweight. They most likely have been big from the word go, always been big when kids and so on. Thick wrists, large stature...

I mean i wouldnt of course be able to do it, i would lose massive amount of weight on 3k, but then again i AM one of these guys who struggled to get theri bodyweight to 100kg and it took years.

little_a, i dont know but in fat terms they say that 3500 cals of fat equals one pound.
SparrowIcon...08-11-2007 @ 19:30 
always lookIng for the extra UT2 work.
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
Neil I don't think you're full of s**t, it's just so hard to comprehend when I am so small and eat more than you. As Ice says though, maybe you have low thyroid output? Also, once the weight is on it's harder to lose it, so I guess you need to eat more to put it on, but once it's on it can be a bugger to shift. That's why I was asking about what you ate to get to 156kg rather than what you are eating now.

Just to get the thread back on track, I think you are quite an extreme example Neil, and are the exception rather than the rule. So advising someone to eat only 100-200g of protein per day whilst dieting isn't particularly good advise as IMO they will lose too much muscle. You of course are quite different so do what you need to do.
HaydenIcon...08-11-2007 @ 19:35 
memories , like the corners of my mind ....
Member 49, 2298 posts
SQ 200, BP 132.5, DL 220
552.5 kgs @ 123kgs UnEq
I can put on weight veery easily so I have to watch what i eat constantly even if i want to maintain. Hopefully over my course i can get some blood work etc.. done to see whats goin on inside the old body.
BoarIcon...08-11-2007 @ 19:40 
Walk your talk
Member 5, 25557 posts
Administrator
Hayden, you dont need bloodwork to tell you to hold back on the burger kings ....Grin

since this last thread i have upped my protein quite a bit, mabie bolting the door after the horse has f**ked off but im soldiering on !!
IcepickIcon...08-11-2007 @ 19:44 
still a cock
Member 55, 1213 posts
SQ 50, BP 25, DL 55
130.0 kgs @ 0.1kgs UnEq
also one more thing whilst we are at it, muscle loss while dieting is way overrated, its just an excuse for fat people never to go on a diet. strengh loss doesn't always equate muscle loss, and more down to loss in mass. I have even seen studies where they have shown people on restrictive diet to lose very little to no muscle.
JoniIcon...08-11-2007 @ 19:54 
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
"studies" have very little relevance here mate, unless it was in Flex! Grin
ThingIcon...08-11-2007 @ 21:06 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 08.11.2007 @ 21:07 PM
icepick i have had that done a few years ago and it was a little under atice but nothing to worry about then so i left it at this. but maybe i need this checked again. and it's a right bastrd when the thong is in a twist rides right up the old ars crack Grin .

Jonny i must be just diffrent as i have always been a big lad from a very young age even when i was play football all this time i must be a freak nature of something like that as i know i'm i don't respond to the effect that diets have on other folk that train, and in my mind people are different and work in different ways.

little a i have alway been the opposite i can put weight on at the drop of a hat so we are at both opposite end of the scale by the sounds of it. and when i had my skelatal structre meassured it was well above normal i.e. the average is 10 and mine was 11.2 the guy who did it didn't say what it was measured in but he said it was well above normal.

cheers jonny, but i still thing that say if you mucsle mass weight is only 50 to 80 kgs this does not inclued you skelatin orgins, fat and fluid that you carry then i recon tat this is you weigh that you should base your protein levels on if you are trying to build muscle but thats just my opinion and i could be very wrong! what does every one else think about this???

and i'm just back from training and tucking in to chicken and salad as i type Grin
CarlIcon...08-11-2007 @ 21:10 
Loves rugby league ...
Member 13, 14460 posts
SQ 230, BP 180.5, DL 262.5
673.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
Administrator
just eat it

i have put on 1 stone in 5 weeks
martinIcon...09-11-2007 @ 14:36 
Why not just not get fat in the first place?
Member 132, 1406 posts
SQ 331, BP 200, DL 320
851.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Icepick said:
also one more thing whilst we are at it, muscle loss while dieting is way overrated, its just an excuse for fat people never to go on a diet. strengh loss doesn't always equate muscle loss, and more down to loss in mass. I have even seen studies where they have shown people on restrictive diet to lose very little to no muscle.

Cant agree there, maybe for the small guys. Fat people often dont have muscle to lose, but anyone actually carrying any muscle who has been on a diet will need the protein alot more to maintain. This becomes more apparent the heavier and more muscular you get.

Drop carbs first, then if your not losing and your doing enough physically then look at either fats or proteins. I'd rather eat too much protein than carbs any day of the week, especially when dieting.

Quality is also v. important. An abundance of one amino, or major shortage of essential amino's isnt going to help either maintain muscle whilst dropping weight of help build muscle

Oh and if you try the 3000kcals diet 99.9% of people will never get to 156KG, actually they'd never get over 100KG assuming its coming from real food sources. The other 0.1% need thyroxine. Maybe a closer eye on whats actually in the food you eat is needed!

M
ThingIcon...09-11-2007 @ 14:56 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
martin said:
Icepick said:

Cant agree there, maybe for the small guys. Fat people often dont have muscle to lose, but anyone actually carrying any muscle who has been on a diet will need the protein alot more to maintain. This becomes more apparent the heavier and more muscular you get.

Drop carbs first, then if your not losing and your doing enough physically then look at either fats or proteins. I'd rather eat too much protein than carbs any day of the week, especially when dieting.

Quality is also v. important. An abundance of one amino, or major shortage of essential amino's isnt going to help either maintain muscle whilst dropping weight of help build muscle

Oh and if you try the 3000kcals diet 99.9% of people will never get to 156KG, actually they'd never get over 100KG assuming its coming from real food sources. The other 0.1% need thyroxine. Maybe a closer eye on whats actually in the food you eat is needed!

M

Martin what are your thought on what i said about protein comsumption?
JoniIcon...09-11-2007 @ 15:16 
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
could ask it other way around:

how much protein does the body utilise?

if a normal non-strength training person can utilise something like 30ish (just from a memory from an article i read, correct me if you think that number is wrong) grams of protein (of equivalent of amino acids) for normal cell growth, hair, nails, skin etc, then strength trainer probably doesnt even double that?

And then to take into account different kinds of bioavailability issues and so on, could be quite liberal and double that as well. That would be only 120g.

What is the remaining 380g for in those recommendations of 500grams of protein a day? Energy?
SparrowIcon...09-11-2007 @ 18:11 
always lookIng for the extra UT2 work.
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 09.11.2007 @ 18:12 PM
...sighs and shakes head...
IcepickIcon...09-11-2007 @ 18:26 
still a cock
Member 55, 1213 posts
SQ 50, BP 25, DL 55
130.0 kgs @ 0.1kgs UnEq
martin said:
Icepick said:

M

what a long rant, not even sure what you are getting at, no one said anything about restricting protein on a diet, just muscle loss is overrated.
JoniIcon...09-11-2007 @ 20:52 
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
jonnymills said:
...sighs and shakes head...

protein head shake?

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions