REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 95 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.

How do you Train?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

123456

AMH_PowerIcon...30-03-2014 @ 22:19 
Member 4363, 1378 posts
SQ 290, BP 232.5, DL 305
827.5 kgs @ 101kgs UnEq
walker said:
Cool. Did you work upto daily maxes before?


Yeah and it worked really well, but I hit a wall. When I hit a wall with this I will go back to the daily max type training and vice-versa.

You still beltless?
PikefingersIcon...31-03-2014 @ 12:39 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 853 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Twice a week - fully body routine both times. (Mon squat & bench + assistance, Thurs Deadlift & pullups + assistance).

I usually do some pressups on a saturday (100-250), just to get a bit of extra pressing in, even though I know it's no substitute for the gym.

Used to do a third session on wednesday, which was basically just for bench plus a few other bits and bobs.

Have been doing this for years and am still making some progress. Only family and work commitments keep me from doing 1 extra session per week, but I still wouldn't train more than 3 times a week (plus pressups on sat) as I don't think I would have enough recovery time otherwise.

Having said that, I have read 'Beyond Brawn' by Stuart McRobert and I may have just been brainwashed into thinking anything more than a moderate level of training is too much for 'natural' lifters.
samue1sonIcon...31-03-2014 @ 17:36 
Avatar
what kind of giant cant squat 200kg ??
Member 4416, 1190 posts
SQ 210, BP 175, DL 240
625.0 kgs @ 122kgs UnEq
I train aimlessly with nobody telling me what to do, in a gym full of bro-science "yeah, that's an awesome lift dude".

I want to powerlift or do a strongman comp soon.
I mostly do what I think I can do, 3 or 4 days a week until I'm exhausted.

I don't listen to anybody else anyway because I always know better.
Wish I knew some really strong people in person to help me Unhappy
SparrowIcon...31-03-2014 @ 19:00 
Avatar
always lookIng for the extra UT2 work.
Member 9, 17760 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
AMH_Power said:
Yeah and it worked really well, but I hit a wall. When I hit a wall with this I will go back to the daily max type training and vice-versa.
You still beltless?


I'm thinking of giving your system a go, as it seems similar to the Russian routine which I've had good success with before.

I have a question, though: do you feel there is enough heavy work with only one session over 80%, and that only being 90% for 5x2 every 4 weeks?
AMH_PowerIcon...31-03-2014 @ 21:00 
Member 4363, 1378 posts
SQ 290, BP 232.5, DL 305
827.5 kgs @ 101kgs UnEq
Sparrow said:
I'm thinking of giving your system a go, as it seems similar to the Russian routine which I've had good success with before.
I have a question, though: do you feel there is enough heavy work with only one session over 80%, and that only being 90% for 5x2 every 4 weeks?


I'm glad you fancy giving it a go...
To answer your question, yes; with a bit(lots) of bro-science to back it up:

First, what people don't realize is muscles/myocytes contract as fast as they physically can, regardless of its type (I,IIA,IIB). However... people think a slow movement (like casually standing up out of a chair) is a slow contraction...
It's not, its just that very very few myocytes are contracting at that very instance in time.

So, why 80%???....
80% is just about the mark where you are contracting as many fibres as you physically can. Lifting heavier won't recruit more fibres, it will simply slow the lift down and put you under load for longer, making it easier to injure or overtrain (not homo tiredness, but accumulative micro damage to connective tissue).

However.... we need some sort of overreaching to induce new gains...
This is why we use 80% of our target and not our current, so that the first week will hit us into mild overreach, and by the 4th week, it won't contribute to overtraining as it isn't more than 80% of our 1rm, it should be bang on 80% of our new max.

Ideally we would do 6x2@80% all the time, but efficiency would increase. We do NOT want to be efficient, as it is mutually exclusive to proficiency. I want to be able to produce as much kinetic energy at any instance in time... not do the same squat with less energy for more reps. To stop this happening, we wave the reps/sets/weight with the prelepins day, and it cycles from week 1 (sarcoplasmic/volume) work to week 4 (myofibril/intensity) type work, using values from 100's of studies by A.S Prilepin on drug-free/non-drug free, trained/untrained individuals. The ranges were optimal for all, it was the frequency that could be adjusted for non-drug free and advanced lifters.

Failing that, if my England isn't the best...just give the routine a go, leap of faith and all....
JohnGymIcon...01-04-2014 @ 17:29 
Avatar
Hamstrings feel activated.
Member 1107, 6984 posts
SQ 220, BP 152.5, DL 252.5
625.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
I really like the look of this and I like your explanation too.

So, to confirm my understanding would a typical Monday look something like this for someone with a current squat of 200kg:


20kg x 8
20kg x 5
60kg x 3
100kg x 1
140kg x 1

162.5kg x 2
162.5kg x 2
162.5kg x 2
162.5kg x 2
162.5kg x 2
162.5kg x 2

Do you do any assistance stuff or would that be the session?
minibig1Icon...01-04-2014 @ 18:16 
Novice level log, open level deadlift
Member 857, 2699 posts
SQ 260, BP 170, DL 360
790.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
Genuine question: do people who follow these planned out complex templates and program's enjoy training? Personally I couldn't stand having to read a peice of paper to decide what I was gna train that day. That's just me though so curious to see what people think. Is it literally a means to and end to get stronger or do you enjoy having a system to work with and having your workouts decided for you
AMH_PowerIcon...01-04-2014 @ 18:17 
Member 4363, 1378 posts
SQ 290, BP 232.5, DL 305
827.5 kgs @ 101kgs UnEq
JohnGym said:I really like the look of this and I like your explanation too.

So, to confirm my understanding would a typical Monday look something like this for someone with a current squat of 200kg:


20kg x 8
20kg x 5
60kg x 3
100kg x 1
140kg x 1

162.5kg x 2
162.5kg x 2
162.5kg x 2
162.5kg x 2
162.5kg x 2
162.5kg x 2

Do you do any assistance stuff or would that be the session?


Bingo mate. I don't do any assistance unless there is a dire need. I do some external rotator cuff work now and then to stop me looking like an ape, but assistance in my opinion (other than injury prevention) must be a variant of the lift for it to carry over. That said, if there is a muscle that is lacking on the lift, this muscle will usually have to work the hardest, which will negate the need to do assistance on it, but will likely contribute to fatigue faster and so will require more deloads if it's severely weaker, so may need conditioning for 3-4 weeks prior to linear compound work.

I recommend assistance for prehab/rehab only. For what it's worth, my bench is my best lift, and I've never done a fly or skullcrusher in my life.
JohnGymIcon...01-04-2014 @ 18:17 
Avatar
Hamstrings feel activated.
Member 1107, 6984 posts
SQ 220, BP 152.5, DL 252.5
625.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
I'm a target driven individual so I particularly enjoy having a plan with specific numbers to achieve per session.

Being able to quantify success per session is important to my motivation.
JohnGymIcon...01-04-2014 @ 18:18 
Avatar
Hamstrings feel activated.
Member 1107, 6984 posts
SQ 220, BP 152.5, DL 252.5
625.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
AMH_Power said:
Bingo mate. I don't do any assistance unless there is a dire need. I do some external rotator cuff work now and then to stop me looking like an ape, but assistance in my opinion (other than injury prevention) must be a variant of the lift for it to carry over. That said, if there is a muscle that is lacking on the lift, this muscle will usually have to work the hardest, which will negate the need to do assistance on it, but will likely contribute to fatigue faster and so will require more deloads if it's severely weaker, so may need conditioning for 3-4 weeks prior to linear compound work.
I recommend assistance for prehab/rehab only. For what it's worth, my bench is my best lift, and I've never done a fly or skullcrusher in my life.


Top man.
Benfrancis1993Icon...01-04-2014 @ 18:19 
Avatar
Cut toe in half = bad day.
Member 4359, 3581 posts
SQ 270, BP 140, DL 310
720.0 kgs @ 137kgs UnEq
JohnGym said:I'm a target driven individual so I particularly enjoy having a plan with specific numbers to achieve per session.

Being able to quantify success per session is important to my motivation.


Im kind of the same.

Aslong as I hit my top set, f**k the world
minibig1Icon...01-04-2014 @ 18:25 
Novice level log, open level deadlift
Member 857, 2699 posts
SQ 260, BP 170, DL 360
790.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
Fair enough brahs. Personally I think training should be Instinctive, training depending how you feel etc, I usually have an idea of what to do that day but again depends on feel. Another question, if your program said "deload week" (hate that phrase) but you felt great that day and all warm ups wer snappy, would you stick to the plan, or in bens words "f**k the world" and do your Own thing??
JohnGymIcon...01-04-2014 @ 18:26 
Avatar
Hamstrings feel activated.
Member 1107, 6984 posts
SQ 220, BP 152.5, DL 252.5
625.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
I don't deload. Life has a way of presenting enough deloads via illness, work or injury that I don't need to schedule any in.
AMH_PowerIcon...01-04-2014 @ 18:30 
Member 4363, 1378 posts
SQ 290, BP 232.5, DL 305
827.5 kgs @ 101kgs UnEq
minibig1 said:Genuine question: do people who follow these planned out complex templates and program's enjoy training? Personally I couldn't stand having to read a peice of paper to decide what I was gna train that day. That's just me though so curious to see what people think. Is it literally a means to and end to get stronger or do you enjoy having a system to work with and having your workouts decided for you


success is the measurement of the achievement of a goal, goals are defined in the planning process.

I'd love to just go and do whatever...which I did for about 2 years and my lifts went nowhere, although I felt great, pumped, and that I worked hard.

Now I follow intelligent programming which exploits the way in which the human body responds to a demand.

To answer you, no I don't like pen and paper, but I do like the gains that they bring.
IrishMarcIcon...01-04-2014 @ 18:30 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5852 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 310
852.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
AMH_Power said:
Bingo mate. I don't do any assistance unless there is a dire need. I do some external rotator cuff work now and then to stop me looking like an ape, but assistance in my opinion (other than injury prevention) must be a variant of the lift for it to carry over. That said, if there is a muscle that is lacking on the lift, this muscle will usually have to work the hardest, which will negate the need to do assistance on it, but will likely contribute to fatigue faster and so will require more deloads if it's severely weaker, so may need conditioning for 3-4 weeks prior to linear compound work.
I recommend assistance for prehab/rehab only. For what it's worth, my bench is my best lift, and I've never done a fly or skullcrusher in my life.


http://www.quickmeme.com/img/64/6494d9a65195279d35717e6d973750...

123456

© Sugden Barbell 2020 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto