REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 4 members and 39 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.

Hook grip advice.

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

123

Training & Training Videos is sponsored by Strength Shop - Check out our Equipment, New Products and Special Offers
WesIconHook grip advice.22-12-2015 @ 20:27 
31.6 and Obese !! Get in....
Member 869, 1355 posts
SQ 320, BP 200, DL 310
830.0 kgs @ 97.5kgs Eq
Hoping to persevere in't coming months, starting this week, and try and learn the hook grip for Deadlifting.

Any advice or words o wisdom from any that have done it in't past ?
Hoping to at least use it for my warm up sets, stop when it becomes too much and inch up week by week.
IainKendrickIcon...22-12-2015 @ 21:39 
Avatar
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12717 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
That's what I did. Took about 2 months to get to decent poundages.
DeanW92Icon...22-12-2015 @ 22:03 
Member 4496, 1149 posts
SQ 210, BP 180, DL 300
690.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
Wes said:Hoping to persevere in't coming months, starting this week, and try and learn the hook grip for Deadlifting.

Any advice or words o wisdom from any that have done it in't past ?
Hoping to at least use it for my warm up sets, stop when it becomes too much and inch up week by week.


Think this is probably the only thing you can do, use it for warm ups and dont rush into trying big weights as it will put you off. Do it frequently if possible, a couple of times a week. Chalk your hands and thumbs well.

I would also say to try taking a looser grip than you think you need and see how that feels, what i mean by this is that i dont have my hand fully closed, so the bar is kinda in my finger tips.
WesIcon...22-12-2015 @ 22:09 
31.6 and Obese !! Get in....
Member 869, 1355 posts
SQ 320, BP 200, DL 310
830.0 kgs @ 97.5kgs Eq
Thanks.
Interesting point about taking a slightly looser grip !!

What positives did you guys take out of converting ? Is your grip now more reliable than with your alternate ?
DeanW92Icon...22-12-2015 @ 22:42 
Member 4496, 1149 posts
SQ 210, BP 180, DL 300
690.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
Wes said:Thanks.
Interesting point about taking a slightly looser grip !!

What positives did you guys take out of converting ? Is your grip now more reliable than with your alternate ?


I dont remember when i converted to be honest, i have pretty much allways used hook grip. I have never missed a lift because of grip though.

I know that a few people who use mixed grip struggle with the bar drifting on one side.

Only thing i would advise against is doing high reps or high volume sessions with hookgrip. Sometimes my hands get sore doing these but singles are completely pain free.

If im doing like 3x5 i usually hookgrip the first set and use straps on the other 2 to save my hands.
WesIcon...22-12-2015 @ 22:50 
31.6 and Obese !! Get in....
Member 869, 1355 posts
SQ 320, BP 200, DL 310
830.0 kgs @ 97.5kgs Eq
DeanW92 said:
I dont remember when i converted to be honest, i have pretty much allways used hook grip. I have never missed a lift because of grip though.
I know that a few people who use mixed grip struggle with the bar drifting on one side.
Only thing i would advise against is doing high reps or high volume sessions with hookgrip. Sometimes my hands get sore doing these but singles are completely pain free.
If im doing like 3x5 i usually hookgrip the first set and use straps on the other 2 to save my hands.


Might ditch the alternate grip completely, switching to straps once a hook becomes unbearable until I've adapted. Also for higher volume like you say.
Thanks again !!
JackRevansIcon...22-12-2015 @ 23:35 
Avatar
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16018 posts
SQ 185, BP 130, DL 250
565.0 kgs @ 81kgs UnEq
Hook grip was my grip of choice. It's better in a deadlift bar. All I can say get your hand as far round the bar as possible and then squeeze hard. Very hard
RickIcon...23-12-2015 @ 01:01 
Avatar
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 8679 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
Consider taping your thumbs. A roll of plaster will do, but I like this non-sticky stuff better: http://ebay.co.uk/itm/GOALKEEPER-FINGER-JOINT-TAPE-COLOUR-WHIT...
FAT_SAMIcon...23-12-2015 @ 05:28 
Avatar
more like 'FAT TROLL'
Member 984, 6305 posts
SQ 410, BP 260, DL 335
1005.0 kgs @ 165kgs UnEq
Train plate pinches. If you can get to the point where you can pinch 2x20kg discs one handed (smooth sides out) you won't have much trouble hooking 300+. Plate pinches also toughen the thumb skin.
DeanW92Icon...23-12-2015 @ 08:01 
Member 4496, 1149 posts
SQ 210, BP 180, DL 300
690.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
Rick said:Consider taping your thumbs. A roll of plaster will do, but I like this non-sticky stuff better: http://ebay.co.uk/itm/GOALKEEPER-FINGER-JOINT-TAPE-COLOUR-WHIT...

I dont know if it varies on the person or how you grip it but iv never had any callouses on my thumbs.
WesIcon...23-12-2015 @ 09:08 
31.6 and Obese !! Get in....
Member 869, 1355 posts
SQ 320, BP 200, DL 310
830.0 kgs @ 97.5kgs Eq
Thanks for all the above, gives me plenty to go on.
Good shout with the plate pinching too, never trained grip specifically but can't do any harm !!
Funky_monkeyIcon...23-12-2015 @ 09:52 
Avatar
1kg of lamb chops is a days wages over here
Member 160, 4422 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Grow a pair. Chalk your thumbs just above the nail, and the fingers your thumb touches. I find I fail on lack of strength rather than grip, even with a 30mm bar when my hands are on the chrome.
hifiloverIcon...23-12-2015 @ 10:41 
Avatar
Member 3241, 2042 posts
SQ 1, BP 192, DL 255
448.0 kgs @ 136kgs UnEq
As above

You have to persevere with it, but it soon comes Happy

I use a bit of micropore tape over my thumbs and chalk obviously

You soon get used to it and then wonder why you didn't do this before!!!
AdamTIcon...23-12-2015 @ 10:48 
AKA Big Rory
Member 4056, 4600 posts
I wish I could struggle with grip. It would mean I can actually deadlift a decent weight. Thanks to having long fingers and a week deadlift, grip never effects me.

Might switch to hook grip for a while.
matthewvcIcon...23-12-2015 @ 11:35 
Avatar
my squad calls me TechnoJim
Member 5704, 2814 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
Wes said:Hoping to persevere in't coming months, starting this week, and try and learn the hook grip for Deadlifting.

Any advice or words o wisdom from any that have done it in't past ?
Hoping to at least use it for my warm up sets, stop when it becomes too much and inch up week by week.


that's what I did - it's just the discomfort that is needed to overcome really - I also go double overhand until that gets too hard then switch as too much hooking rips the skin up. Taken my dohg max deadlift from 170kg to 220kg as well doing this which I think has helped hook strength.

123

© Sugden Barbell 2018 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto