Who's Online - 0 members and 208 guests

Facet Joint Pain

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

GingyIconFacet Joint Pain19-04-2012 @ 21:45 
concept 2 guru
Member 1235, 4675 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 220
547.5 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Spoke to a chiro and they think that my occasional glass back is something I've done to a Facet joint years ago.

It causes mild discomfort in the joint itself but also causes spasms in my erectors which seriously knock my confidence when squatting heavy or deadlifting.

So far I've focused on mobility in everything and improving my "core" but was wanderring if anyone has successfully coped with/rehabbed something similar in the past?

Any help would be great!
Fluffy_DorkyIcon...19-04-2012 @ 23:16 
Member 3325, 520 posts
SQ 81, BP 40, DL 120
241.0 kgs @ 62.2kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 19.04.2012 @ 23:34 PM by Fluffy_Dorky
Gingy said:Spoke to a chiro and they think that my occasional glass back is something I've done to a Facet joint years ago.

It causes mild discomfort in the joint itself but also causes spasms in my erectors which seriously knock my confidence when squatting heavy or deadlifting.

So far I've focused on mobility in everything and improving my "core" but was wanderring if anyone has successfully coped with/rehabbed something similar in the past?

Any help would be great!

I got a facet joint injury year before last. What helped was as you are already doing: core stuff (got some useful exercises off physio for this so if you can see a physio even for one or two sessions this should help), laying off the deadlift and squat for a while also helped. There`s a really good physio who works at The Underground Training Station in Hoylake.I might add that I think it's worth considering unilateral work, maybe ask your chiro/phys whether they think this would help your particular injury. My facet joint and a later injury to an oblique were both on the right side and the physio and pt both agree this is related to a strength imbalance, which will just continue if training is restricted to barbell work. Of course this is just a suggestion from personal experience as I have no medical training etc but it may help, good luck.
ThingIcon...20-04-2012 @ 07:52 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
i have a problem with the Facet joints in my lower back from a injury caused by a Coughing fit.
When i was at the Scottish Strongman final in 2008 it went on the Squat but i kept going. took a a few weeks of and it did settle down, but i ditched Back squats for front squat and hip mobility drill and ditched deadlift for almost a year.

i eventually went to the doctors an have been getting treatment but i must admit that i wish i had gone sooner to get medical help. but it is what it is.

my 2pence for of advice would be to keep deadlift and squats in your training but low weight and higher reps. stretch you Hip flexors, Glutes and hamstrings every day regardless of your training. look in to core activation drill from pilates and triple the core exercises you do.
if you can keep the area mobile and flexibility good this should help.
again as stated above i'm no medical expert or practitioner just based on my own experience.
GingyIcon...22-04-2012 @ 17:01 
concept 2 guru
Member 1235, 4675 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 220
547.5 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Sorry guys, didn't even see that there'd been a response to this thread! Thanks very much for the advice.

I think I'll see someone official about it after my comp and look to build a long term solution. For now, stretching and core!! Happy
Fluffy_DorkyIcon...22-04-2012 @ 18:43 
Member 3325, 520 posts
SQ 81, BP 40, DL 120
241.0 kgs @ 62.2kgs UnEq
Good luck with the comp.What sort of comp us it?
GingyIcon...22-04-2012 @ 18:55 
concept 2 guru
Member 1235, 4675 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 220
547.5 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Northern's under 90s strongman. My first one so not expecting much other than to avoid embarrassment!
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions