You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitElectrician Jobs

Electrician Jobs

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

richards9876IconElectrician Jobs12-10-2010 @ 14:55 
Still mostly bodybuilding
Member 501, 10465 posts
SQ 220, BP 150, DL 250
620.0 kgs @ 94kgs UnEq
So just over 2 years ago I decided to pay to put myself through college and train to become an electrician whilst still working full time in the motor trade.

In June I finished the course and qualified but no matter how many companies I contact regarding work I keep getting rejections due to me not having time served experience.

What I can't understand and these people fail to answer me on is if they won't give me a chance then how am I expected to get the experience. The fact I've spent over £2000 of my own money to qualify doesn't seem to even come into it.

Has anyone out there trained for a new trade and had similar difficulties finding employment or have any advice?
little_aIcon...12-10-2010 @ 15:00 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Similar story about 10 years ago, but for IT, not sparking.

I hit lucky working a basic job for an IT company that was taking on and worked my up.

Dont get down Chris mate. We're in the biggest ecconomical s**t storm seen in our life times. The building trade has been battered. It will pick up so keep putting the word out and be prepared to start at the s**tty end when it all starts to move again.

FWIW I think you've picked the best trade to opt for, and good on you for doing it.
BigSamIcon...12-10-2010 @ 15:06 
HORRIBLE MEDLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Member 621, 4744 posts
SQ 340, BP 220, DL 335
895.0 kgs @ 106kgs Eq
Happens to me mate but in the motor trade!

I went to a interview with a load of certs.

And a lad who worked for a year but with no certs.

and I didn't get the job! Really pisses you off mate!

I only paid 500pound into my course luckily because I only paid for the last year!

Life is a c**t!
ThingIcon...12-10-2010 @ 15:07 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 12.10.2010 @ 15:19 PM by Thing
richards9876 said:So just over 2 years ago I decided to pay to put myself through college and train to become an electrician whilst still working full time in the motor trade.

In June I finished the course and qualified but no matter how many companies I contact regarding work I keep getting rejections due to me not having time served experience.

What I can't understand and these people fail to answer me on is if they won't give me a chance then how am I expected to get the experience. The fact I've spent over £2000 of my own money to qualify doesn't seem to even come into it.

Has anyone out there trained for a new trade and had similar difficulties finding employment or have any advice?

hey mate i did the same as you finished uni with a electronic and electrical systems degree couldn't get a graduate job because i didn't have enough experience, the came home and worked for a year trying many different companies, with no luck. then got the chance to do a electrical apprenticeship through the SECTT adult training scheme through a local company up here and qualified. they didn't have enough work so i had to get something else which was in electrical estimating and now has lead me in a round about way in to engineering now.

one thing i will say is that i considered was to start to work for myself doing PAT testing and PIR testing for house insurances, and also wiring new builds etc.

i do know that there is a skills shortage in the north sea for all trades in the oil industry and i can ask a few friends who work in the industry what is the best way to go.

have a look at websites like oilandgascareers.com and oilcareers.com for jobs there.

also if you have just qualified you'll be up to date with the 17th edition wiring regs so have you tried your local council? your local water board?
goodwinmIcon...12-10-2010 @ 15:11 
a PB is a PB !
Member 539, 1086 posts
Post Edited: 12.10.2010 @ 15:13 PM by goodwinm
Best way is an apprenticeship mate.

That's what i'm doing currently. Super Crap wages but at least you get vital experience in a trade. (And I mean super crap wages. Went from 16k to 5k a year)

I'm working in the tool trade in a sales office.

Still took the piss getting on an apprenticeship though. Thousands of people apply for the same bloody position!
Simon_TIcon...12-10-2010 @ 15:15 
wales
Member 1058, 5361 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 294
654.0 kgs @ 106kgs UnEq
Might be worth getting in touch with some contracting firms and offering your services as an electrician/electricians mate. Maybe if no luck say your willing to do weekends when they're busy just to gain some experience.
bryceIcon...12-10-2010 @ 15:23 
Juice loose aboot this hoose
Member 1401, 3962 posts
SQ 160, BP 107.5, DL 210
477.5 kgs @ 88kgs UnEq
I remember I spoke to you about having a word with some people near blackpool...

Looks like I forgot. Dumbass.

Have you tried looking at companies that do the more industrial/large scale jobs? A lot of them are still busy and may need people.

It must be annoying to have trained and not be able to get your foot in the door. Managed to get my job pretty easy - speculative CV, work for summer, go back at end of uni. But that was before everything went funny in my industry, would be much harder now I reckon.
goodwinmIcon...12-10-2010 @ 15:23 
a PB is a PB !
Member 539, 1086 posts
Post Edited: 12.10.2010 @ 15:27 PM by goodwinm
Simon_T said:Might be worth getting in touch with some contracting firms and offering your services as an electrician/electricians mate. Maybe if no luck say your willing to do weekends when they're busy just to gain some experience.

Anything like this is good advice I think.

Even if you offer your services on voluntary basis/minimum wage/apprenticeship etc etc. Be cost effective to any potential employers.

Training providers are f**king s**t to be perfectly honest. If you have to pay £££ on a course that 'Could get you a fantastic job in your chosen field'
just throw away the f**king leaflet!
RobboIcon...12-10-2010 @ 17:10 
When I have enough cash, I get a deep tissue.
Member 465, 11029 posts
SQ 240, BP 175, DL 302.5
717.5 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Simon_T said:Might be worth getting in touch with some contracting firms and offering your services as an electrician/electricians mate. Maybe if no luck say your willing to do weekends when they're busy just to gain some experience.

Good advice.

I have left the building trade Chris due to the state in which it is in. The country is in its worst financial state for a long time and its going to take time for it to come round.

Work just isnt there for the trades at the moment but keep trying and things will happen for you.

Most Electrical contractors who worked for our building firm decreased their staff hugely and in the past two years of being a site manager ive seen f**k all new recruits/apprentices. It will turn around again and when it does ill be back in the trade also
TonyIcon...12-10-2010 @ 17:21 
Is partial to the odd bender.
Member 6, 10239 posts
SQ 280, BP 192.5, DL 317.5
790.0 kgs @ 102kgs Eq
Post Edited: 12.10.2010 @ 17:22 PM by Tony
Been mentioned but you need to get a job as a mate.

Foot in the door, on site experience etc

Be s**t money but your best shot.

Trades are dying in this country at the moment. I'm earning £10k less than I was 5 years ago.
BigSamIcon...12-10-2010 @ 17:26 
HORRIBLE MEDLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Member 621, 4744 posts
SQ 340, BP 220, DL 335
895.0 kgs @ 106kgs Eq
Tony said: I'm earning £10k less than I was 5 years ago.

I'm earning less now than I was when I was 16!
TonyIcon...12-10-2010 @ 17:45 
Is partial to the odd bender.
Member 6, 10239 posts
SQ 280, BP 192.5, DL 317.5
790.0 kgs @ 102kgs Eq
BigSam said:
I'm earning less now than I was when I was 16!

Yes but your only 18 now and the rent boy game was never going to last forever.
richards9876Icon...12-10-2010 @ 17:46 
Member 501, 10465 posts
SQ 220, BP 150, DL 250
620.0 kgs @ 94kgs UnEq
Thanks for all the comments and advice. The majority of the jobs ive been applying for or speculativly applying for are electricians mates but as one company mentioned that due to lack of work they are employing some qualified sparks as mates.

As mentioned ive even offered myself to companies for free at weekends to gain experience but of all the ones ive spoken to they either dont work weekends or wouldnt need me.

I couldnt go and do an apprenticeship because im too old and couldnt afford to pay my mortgage etc on stupidly low wages. Plus now ive got a son to think about too.

A mate of mine has been qualified for 10 years now and ive been doing some work with him the odd evening and weekend plus ive got some small jobs lined up myself.
An option i have is to continue working with my mate as & when he needs me along with doing jobs myself until i have enough experience to either get a sparky job or maybe set-up on my own.
ThingIcon...12-10-2010 @ 17:52 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
richards9876 said:Thanks for all the comments and advice. The majority of the jobs ive been applying for or speculativly applying for are electricians mates but as one company mentioned that due to lack of work they are employing some qualified sparks as mates.

As mentioned ive even offered myself to companies for free at weekends to gain experience but of all the ones ive spoken to they either dont work weekends or wouldnt need me.

I couldnt go and do an apprenticeship because im too old and couldnt afford to pay my mortgage etc on stupidly low wages. Plus now ive got a son to think about too.

A mate of mine has been qualified for 10 years now and ive been doing some work with him the odd evening and weekend plus ive got some small jobs lined up myself.
An option i have is to continue working with my mate as & when he needs me along with doing jobs myself until i have enough experience to either get a sparky job or maybe set-up on my own.

With the setup you have just now I woukd stick with that mas you'd be gaining confidence working by yourself and your mate is there if your unsure so a wee while doing this is great experience.
richards9876Icon...12-10-2010 @ 18:00 
Member 501, 10465 posts
SQ 220, BP 150, DL 250
620.0 kgs @ 94kgs UnEq
Thing said:
With the setup you have just now I woukd stick with that mas you'd be gaining confidence working by yourself and your mate is there if your unsure so a wee while doing this is great experience.

Definetly going to carry on doing this even if im struggling to find work. If it takes 6 months+ to get enough experience for me to feel confident setting up on my own and the work is there then so be it.

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitElectrician Jobs
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions