Who's Online - 0 members and 236 guests

Eddie Hall vs Thor Björnsson boxing match

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Funky_monkeyIcon...10-05-2020 @ 08:46 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5121 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
danbaseley said:It's going to be a dog's dinner.

Eddie looks a little punch shy - but just about everyone is, at first, when you suddenly realise that you are in deep-water and have to accept getting hit - so I imagine Thor will be too.

The biggest problem, is that it is two mah-oosive dudes, who I can't see losing the 150lbs needed to be competent - who will blow-up in 30 seconds.

I honestly think the biggest issue is one of them collapsing on the floor, gasping for breath in about 90 seconds.

Only one of them?
HamIcon...10-05-2020 @ 09:46 
Ham but hey
Member 4787, 205 posts
Post Edited: 10.05.2020 @ 09:48 AM by Ham
Both are so far apart apart from normal humans that it's hard to even comprehend their abilities.

Initially I thought Eddie would take this as he is the mentally stronger of the two IMO: it takes far far greater mental strength and belief to break a record that no one ever had comprehended than it does to be the second person to do it after seeing it is possible.

Then I remembered that Thor is an incredible athlete and moves so well for a guy his size and even better when he was lighter a few years ago.

Then I remembered Eddie was a good level swimmer which also makes great athletes and outstanding lungs.

Then I remembered who cares who wins, it'll be great fun and I for one am very much looking forward to itHappy

But I think if they come in fairly evenly matched physically and it comes to mental grit then I think Eddie will take it
unit94Icon...10-05-2020 @ 12:02 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10443 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
Just watched Eddie's first training vid, he needs a coach quick time, didn't move as well as I thought he would but he is still 170kg so that should come if the weight drops but the more I think about it the more I don't think they'll want to drop that much weight.
The_Lone_WolfIcon...17-05-2020 @ 21:47 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Did anyone watch the video today that is circulating about the whole Viking press situation at WSM 2017?

Some behind the scenes footage of Thor and his team complaining after his denied reps. Quite interesting to be honest.

It’s all being dragged up again!!! Most likely as promotion for their fight, but it’s getting lots of comments on the socials.
IrishMarcIcon...18-05-2020 @ 15:49 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5908 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 320
862.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
The_Lone_Wolf said:Did anyone watch the video today that is circulating about the whole Viking press situation at WSM 2017?

Some behind the scenes footage of Thor and his team complaining after his denied reps. Quite interesting to be honest.

It’s all being dragged up again!!! Most likely as promotion for their fight, but it’s getting lots of comments on the socials.

Yeah was clearly cut to nake thor look the c**t. However, he doesn't have a leg to stand on clearly should have had 3-5 reps disallowed for jumping the down command and Eddie could have done 16-17 if he needed. The double dip call was BS in my view but irellavent really. If Colin was strict on the down command then the outcome would have been the same.
BigMaccaIcon...18-05-2020 @ 16:17 
understanding of the sport, little he has.
Member 798, 9942 posts
SQ 260, BP 150, DL 272.5
682.5 kgs @ 82.5kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 18.05.2020 @ 16:19 PM by BigMacca
IrishMarc said:
Yeah was clearly cut to nake thor look the c**t. However, he doesn't have a leg to stand on clearly should have had 3-5 reps disallowed for jumping the down command and Eddie could have done 16-17 if he needed. The double dip call was BS in my view but irellavent really. If Colin was strict on the down command then the outcome would have been the same.

The Viking Press incident was the least controversial thing at WSM 2017 - All it boils down to is an athlete not agreeing with an officials decision (big wow).
Bryce's judging was all over the place, but Ed was going to win that event all day, every day.

What they don't want to show however, is how it was just another perceived issue on top of a few others:
  • Eddie getting info about the events months before the other athletes (allegedly)
  • Events being changed last minute to better suit Eddie (allegedly) - e.g. Drag taken out for tyre flip, stone platforms lowered, being allowed to rest/put the equipment down on the Viking press
  • Favourable judging for Eddie (e.g. super quick down calls on the deadlift)

The above actually lead to Thor and Shaw (well, minus the viking press for Shaw) threatening to pull out mid competition.

But all of that is commonplace in strongman, especially Giants Live/WSM events - It's just part of the game and they all know about it (how many associations got thrown at Terry Todd over the years for tailoring the events to suit Big Z?)

Thor acted like a little girl about WSM 2017, no two ways about it.
Whatever happened with event selection/changes, Ed still had to turn up and do the business and he did just that!

The current media onslaught by Giants live is to make Ed look like less of a sore loser about the 501kg deadlift - Now that Thor looks like he's done with strongman (and clearly doesn't like Bryce), they have no reason not to go after him as they are Team Eddie all the way.

Strongman is moving more away from being a sport than it ever was with all this bulls**t.
It was bad enough when it was being treated as just a TV show, but it's now turning into reality TV Unhappy
BigMaccaIcon...18-05-2020 @ 16:18 
understanding of the sport, little he has.
Member 798, 9942 posts
SQ 260, BP 150, DL 272.5
682.5 kgs @ 82.5kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 18.05.2020 @ 16:20 PM by BigMacca
double post
billynomatesIcon...18-05-2020 @ 16:21 
Member 4923, 1795 posts
The_Lone_Wolf said:Did anyone watch the video today that is circulating about the whole Viking press situation at WSM 2017?

Yeah it was interesting to see the behind the scenes WSM stuff. But as you say its likely a load of old nonsense created to drum up controversy for the fight. There was a good comment on that video challenging Hall to address the allegations that the events in that years WSM were picked to suit him by the powers that be. I wonder what he has to say about that.
AdamTIcon...18-05-2020 @ 16:24 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5206 posts
BigMacca said:
The Viking Press incident was the least controversial thing at WSM 2017 - All it boils down to is an athlete not agreeing with an officials decision (big wow).
Bryce's judging was all over the place, but Ed was going to win that event all day, every day.
What they don't want to show however, is how it was just another perceived issue on top of a few others:
  • Eddie getting info about the events months before the other athletes (allegedly)
  • Events being changed last minute to better suit Eddie (allegedly) - e.g. Drag taken out for tyre flip, stone platforms lowered, being allowed to rest/put the equipment down on the Viking press

The above actually lead to Thor and Shaw (well, minus the viking press for Shaw) threatening to pull out mid competition.
But all of that is commonplace in strongman, especially Giants Live/WSM events - It's just part of the game and they all know about it (how many associations got thrown at Terry Todd over the years for tailoring the events to suit Big Z?)
Whatever happened with event selection/changes, Ed still had to turn up and do the business and he did just that!
The current media onslaught by Giants live is to make Ed look like less of a sore loser about the 501kg deadlift - Now that Thor looks like he's done with strongman (and clearly doesn't like Bryce), they have no reason not to go after him as they are Team Eddie all the way.
Strongman is moving more away from being a sport than it ever was with all this bulls**t.
It was bad enough when it was being treated as just a TV show, but it's now turning into reality TV Unhappy

His 472 deadlift should never have counted
slow_lift_joeIcon...18-05-2020 @ 16:26 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
I watched the WSM 2017 Viking Press behind the scenes footage this morning.

Eddie Hall won the World's Strongest Man 2017 fair and square.
I thought it then and I this just reinforces the fact.

It was unfair on both Hall and Bryce some of that bad feeling and moaning by the Thor and his team.

Surely in sport you must show respect and dignity in both winning and defeat.

Both Hall and Thor are excellent strongman and this moaning was sad to see.

Interesting the comments by the other competitors at WSM 2017.

Hall won and the numbers on the board at the end of all events speak for themselves.
WILLSANIcon...18-05-2020 @ 16:47 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
BigMacca said:

https://i.giphy.com/media/wJ51sM6BekluSztT31/giphy.webp
The_Lone_WolfIcon...18-05-2020 @ 16:49 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
AdamT said:
His 472 deadlift should never have counted

On what grounds?

I remember watching it at the time and didn’t see any issues? However, I’ve not watched it since so unsure what happened.
The_Lone_WolfIcon...18-05-2020 @ 16:51 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 18.05.2020 @ 16:59 PM by The_Lone_Wolf
Quite interesting for Loz to speak up though. I get the feeling he’s more Team Thor then Team Eddie, but he does allude to Thor being a diva.
The_Lone_WolfIcon...18-05-2020 @ 16:58 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
BigMacca said:

I guess the rest of the issues and allegations are just hard to dismiss or prove otherwise as there is no ‘hard’ footage or evidence other then hear say etc, unlike the Viking press shenanigans.

I completely agree though RE the old allegations of Z getting everything his way in the past with comps. I think it just goes with the tag of being the man etc. I guess there is a lot of s**t that goes on behind the scenes, and it’s anyways easier to say it was rigged or so and so was getting inside information.

Did Brian ever come out and say it was rigged though? He’s usually so well mannered and respectful with his words, so for him to say something would certainly raise eyebrows. I don’t recall seeing it at the time?

Thor certainly didn’t come out of 2017 in the best light though. Media editing or not, he certainly does come across like a diva with all his yes men.
SamthepigmanIcon...18-05-2020 @ 18:29 
See You Next Tuesday
Member 2254, 3824 posts
SQ 240, BP 165, DL 300
705.0 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
These stories are always going to come up these days. The more mainstream things become the more contraversy the general public want. I don't follow the whole bulls**t stuff myself, which is why I deleted Facebook etc a few months ago, I still use Instagram to keep in the loop with strongman though, otherwise I wouldn't know what was going on. But alot of people are interested in these bull s**t stories / drama these days. Which is why love island etc is popular Unhappy

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions