REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 77 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.

Eddie Hall vs Thor Björnsson boxing match

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

JCarter123Icon...05-05-2020 @ 11:29 
Member 3757, 1743 posts
SQ 202.5, BP 110, DL 255
567.5 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
93hopkinsonr said:The general consensus on Facebook from what I’ve seen has Hall as the favourite. Does anyone think Thor will win?

From what I’ve seen so far, I think Thor will win. He’s more aggressive and doesn’t turn his face away quite as much when getting punched. His punches look better and he had the reach.

But also, I really want him to win so I’m probably bias.
IrishMarcIcon...05-05-2020 @ 11:41 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5906 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 315
857.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
JCarter123 said:
From what I’ve seen so far, I think Thor will win. He’s more aggressive and doesn’t turn his face away quite as much when getting punched. His punches look better and he had the reach.
But also, I really want him to win so I’m probably bias.

Not sure that's what I read when I seen the footage of them sparing. Thor throws with his arms and doesn't seem to like things coming towards his face. They both look s**te based off the footage I have seen. Thor will have a massive reach advantage and if cuts down to something a bit more reasonable around 140 or less will carry his weight much better.
IrishMarcIcon...05-05-2020 @ 11:46 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5906 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 315
857.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR06XH5MWbo

I can maybe see what you are saying actually. Eddie looks awkward as f**k. He moves like a bag of s**te.... But then Thor just walks forward with his chin up throwing pitter patter s**te and moves straight back.
WILLSANIcon...05-05-2020 @ 12:31 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16709 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
IrishMarc said:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR06XH5MWbo

I can maybe see what you are saying actually. Eddie looks awkward as f**k. He moves like a bag of s**te.... But then Thor just walks forward with his chin up throwing pitter patter s**te and moves straight back.

I think part of eds awkwardness is his size and lack of conditioning in that vid tho. I imagine he will come in considerably lighter for this fight.

thor throws some wild elbows in with his punches - getting hit with one of those wouldnt be too fun.
AdamTIcon...05-05-2020 @ 13:02 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5165 posts
We can't make any assumptions until they actually train for real

Ed is being picked because of his persona

When I read his autobiography, I had to keep checking the cover, to double check it wasn't Lenny McLean talking
mikecmIcon...05-05-2020 @ 13:33 
Member 6297, 97 posts
It is going to be awful - 30 seconds of adrenaline-fuelled slap-fest style punching before they both gas. I said in another thread that spectacles like this just make strongmen look a bit silly - everyone thinks they are capable of destroying people because of their size, but if either of them fought a much smaller semi-decent pro fighter they would be destroyed. Look at when Mariusz first started in MMA, and he actually had some martial arts behind him.
PaulSavageIcon...05-05-2020 @ 15:17 
Has little understanding of the sport
Member 2775, 6898 posts
93hopkinsonr said:The general consensus on Facebook from what I’ve seen has Hall as the favourite. Does anyone think Thor will win?

Yes I'd have to give it to Thor simply because videos have shown ed to have basically zero boxing ability. I don't know how to embed but https://youtu.be/9aIUrPrzEwU against a pro yes and former English champion but this isn't exactly Mayweather either has 8 losses and is a 140lb lightweight. Ed may as well of been a punching bag, doesn't do anything and gets completely t**tted. No foot movement, s**t gaurd, no head movement. The only positive would be he must have a decent chin to take so many unanswered, undefended shots and not get wobbled though did look shook up a one point. This is of course from a 140lb man though not a 440lb. If thor can learn any kind of boxing skill at all he should win, just learning a simple jab he should be able to win this with one hand.
drex50Icon...05-05-2020 @ 15:26 
It's a moonface era now.
Member 5901, 956 posts
What does this match proove? Who is more alpha?

I take fat Tyson at 53 over any strongman. 400lb, Deca, Tren, gh... nothing will make your chin stronger.
PaulSavageIcon...05-05-2020 @ 15:40 
Has little understanding of the sport
Member 2775, 6898 posts
drex50 said:What does this match proove? Who is more alpha?

I take fat Tyson at 53 over any strongman. 400lb, Deca, Tren, gh... nothing will make your chin stronger.

Of course Tyson would win, boxing has almost nothing to do with strength or who's 'hard' either, it's a skill sport. It would be no different than putting them against a retired formula one driver. He could beat them without doing a minute of training, could tie one hand behind his back and he still would.
slow_lift_joeIcon...05-05-2020 @ 15:58 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
On the point of Mariusz Pudzianowski in MMA, he was okay.
Not a Brock Lesnar, Mark Hunt or Jon Jones but reasonable and he had some good skills.

I will keep to my point boxers stick to boxing, and strongmen stick to strongman.

At an elite level in MMA or Boxing any leading world class fighter would beat a strongman competitor.

I take the point about Thor's reach but you need the fundamental skills and the conditioning in boxing/MMA, both men would need to train in a completely different way, lose body fat and learn the boxing trade.

This cannot be another Lenny Mclean v Roy Shaw second rate boxing event.
Any world class boxer in their weight would beat either of those two.

Surely in the 21st century we are better than this.
Do it for charity in a fun way or not do it at all.

Please keep the integrity of professional strongman and boxing.

The greats of boxing :- Ali, Sugar Ray, Duran, Hearns, Tyson, Hagler, Mayweather, Calzaghe etc

The greats of strongman :- Savickas, Pudzianowski, Kazmaier, Shaw, Magnusson etc

Improve in your sport you excel in and become a great in the sport.
SamthepigmanIcon...05-05-2020 @ 16:38 
See You Next Tuesday
Member 2254, 3658 posts
SQ 240, BP 165, DL 300
705.0 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
I don't really get why people are assuming Thor and Eddie are gonna rock up like they would to WSM. They are going to spend the next 12 months training hard for it. You've seen how hard they've trained and dedicated they're lives to getting stronger. This is probably the biggest single pay out either of them have had. It's enough money for the average person to dedicate the next 15 years of they're lives training for based on the average earnings of someone from the UK. I'd imagine there will be a big bonus for the winner also. They're gonna take this seriously regardless if they haven't trained in boxing before. Anybody with half decent athleticism with the proper team behind them and enough training time would put on a good show. IMO
IrishMarcIcon...05-05-2020 @ 17:07 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5906 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 315
857.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
Samthepigman said:I don't really get why people are assuming Thor and Eddie are gonna rock up like they would to WSM. They are going to spend the next 12 months training hard for it. You've seen how hard they've trained and dedicated they're lives to getting stronger. This is probably the biggest single pay out either of them have had. It's enough money for the average person to dedicate the next 15 years of they're lives training for based on the average earnings of someone from the UK. I'd imagine there will be a big bonus for the winner also. They're gonna take this seriously regardless if they haven't trained in boxing before. Anybody with half decent athleticism with the proper team behind them and enough training time would put on a good show. IMO

A year is no time at all in a sport like boxing full time or not. Sure they are going to be better than they are at the minuite but they are still going to be s**t houses.

The rounds with the pro boxer actually gave me a bit more respect for Eddie, he's got a bit of bottle at least.
unit94Icon...05-05-2020 @ 17:55 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 9951 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 380
920.0 kgs @ 131kgs UnEq
I think Ed will win as he'll commit to it more than Thor, I could see him losing more weight than Thor which wl probably be a very important factor in how it goes. Also is his book that bad? I've heard it is but I kind of want to read it out of morbid curiosity. Also also, I'd fight them both at the same time for the amount of money they're getting!
billynomatesIcon...05-05-2020 @ 18:02 
Member 4923, 1420 posts
I feel like a lot of people complaining are still gonna watch the fight Grin
BoarIcon...05-05-2020 @ 18:14 
Walk your talk
Member 5, 25489 posts
Administrator
how much money are they getting and if they really do go full retard and lose 40kg of muscle , they either gonna have ed clarke levels of loose skin or look fabulous !!

© Sugden Barbell 2021 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto