REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 21 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.

Drug testing WSM rumour

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

1234567

pandionIcon...07-11-2014 @ 21:55 
Member 2407, 219 posts
How many guys at WSM are full-time professional athletes?
JamesHIcon...07-11-2014 @ 21:56 
Avatar
my buttocks hurt
Member 337, 2114 posts
SQ 300, BP 140, DL 305
745.0 kgs @ 125kgs Eq
DL1987 said:
Same could be said about any sport though. Boxing and Marton runners push themselves to eextreme limits and use peds yet you don't hear half the s**t talk that strength athletes get


Not really.

Boxing and athletics are regulated. Using drugs is against the rules and testing is carried out to catch those who do.

Of course, there are those who do cheat. Some get away with it I'm sure. But they are not doing anything like they would be doing if the rules didn't exist.

In strongman, there are of course no such rules. You can do whatever you like and it's not cheating.

This is fine. Until of course, it becomes an arms race...who can push things the furthest.
billynomatesIcon...07-11-2014 @ 22:10 
Member 4923, 1017 posts
JamesH said:
I'm presuming that the enlargement he saw wasn't all necessarily healthy. I'm also making the fairly safe assumption that, as a coroner, he might have some idea what he's talking about. I'm less certain that you do. Might I ask about your medical credentials?

You're missing the point. Do you think a 200kg man would/should have the same size heart as an 80 kg man?
unit94Icon...07-11-2014 @ 22:13 
Avatar
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 9279 posts
SQ 300, BP 200, DL 360
860.0 kgs @ 133kgs UnEq
pandion said:How many guys at WSM are full-time professional athletes?


I would like to know this aswell.
JamesHIcon...07-11-2014 @ 22:15 
Avatar
my buttocks hurt
Member 337, 2114 posts
SQ 300, BP 140, DL 305
745.0 kgs @ 125kgs Eq
Post Edited: 07.11.2014 @ 22:16 PM by JamesH
billynomates said:
You're missing the point. Do you think a 200kg man would/should have the same size heart as an 80 kg man?


I'm not.

The size of his heart was clearly seen by the coroner as medically significant. Even though he was big, it was disproportionately sized. It contributed to his death.

He's a coroner. It's his job to make judgments about what's killed people. He probably knows what he's talking about.
DL1987Icon...07-11-2014 @ 23:04 
Member 5105, 667 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 270
655.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 07.11.2014 @ 23:05 PM by DL1987
JamesH said:
Not really.
Boxing and athletics are regulated. Using drugs is against the rules and testing is carried out to catch those who do.
Of course, there are those who do cheat. Some get away with it I'm sure. But they are not doing anything like they would be doing if the rules didn't exist.
In strongman, there are of course no such rules. You can do whatever you like and it's not cheating.
This is fine. Until of course, it becomes an arms race...who can push things the furthest.


Yes really. There are many athletes especially from track and field athletics background who take vast amounts of peds and don't get caught. An example would be lance Armstrong who won many tour de France titles using peds but never tested positive for years. When money is involved there are means to beat the tests. There was a team USA sprinter can't remember his name who admired to using steroids through his career even in the Olympics but never tested positive once and said everyone was taking them.
james_grahameIcon...07-11-2014 @ 23:19 
Member 1525, 95 posts
like the others said...it might relate to this thread http://www.ironmind-forum.com/forum/training/strongman/2233-es...
JamesHIcon...07-11-2014 @ 23:52 
Avatar
my buttocks hurt
Member 337, 2114 posts
SQ 300, BP 140, DL 305
745.0 kgs @ 125kgs Eq
Post Edited: 07.11.2014 @ 23:55 PM by JamesH
DL1987 said:
Yes really. There are many athletes especially from track and field athletics background who take vast amounts of peds and don't get caught. An example would be lance Armstrong who won many tour de France titles using peds but never tested positive for years. When money is involved there are means to beat the tests. There was a team USA sprinter can't remember his name who admired to using steroids through his career even in the Olympics but never tested positive once and said everyone was taking them.


Lance Armstrong did not do the things some strength athletes are doing in order to be as big and strong as possible. In cycling, more dies not equal more. For strength it does.

Are you happy with a sport where who wins is the person who is most prepared to put their life at risk?
NimbleIcon...08-11-2014 @ 02:05 
Avatar
woefully weak
Member 4748, 1043 posts
SQ 157, BP 133, DL 260
550.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
pandion said:How many guys at WSM are full-time professional athletes?


I spoke to Nick Best at WSM a couple of years back and he said as far as he was aware the only full-time guy in the US was Shaw. Here, Terry and Loz were for a while, but both are pursuing other stuff as well now. Z is, I guess? Not sure what Lalas does, or Misha Koklyaev? Not sure there would be anyone else.
DL1987Icon...08-11-2014 @ 09:02 
Member 5105, 667 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 270
655.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
JamesH said:
Lance Armstrong did not do the things some strength athletes are doing in order to be as big and strong as possible. In cycling, more dies not equal more. For strength it does.
Are you happy with a sport where who wins is the person who is most prepared to put their life at risk?


riding thousands of miles every year is as much a strain on the heart as any drug or any amount of weight lifted. Like I said earlier it doesn't matter if you do or don't take peds you still put your body at risk when pushing your body to the limits. And how on earth do you know how much gear each individual takes in each sport. What's to say Armstrong didn't take more than someone in strength sports?? And yes if something is available to everyone then it's their own choice to take or not to take substances that can improve performance
slimsimIcon...08-11-2014 @ 09:53 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 5848 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 125, DL 250
592.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
DL1987 said:
riding thousands of miles every year is as much a strain on the heart as any drug or any amount of weight lifted.

So riding a bike and allowing your body to undergo a completely natural compensatory response to get fitter is as strenuous on the body as taking a load of exogenous hormones all of which cause various other hormonal changes in the body due to it working on a feedback loop.

Yeah, of course it is. Roll-Eyes
DL1987Icon...08-11-2014 @ 10:46 
Member 5105, 667 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 270
655.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
slimsim said:
So riding a bike and allowing your body to undergo a completely natural compensatory response to get fitter is as strenuous on the body as taking a load of exogenous hormones all of which cause various other hormonal changes in the body due to it working on a feedback loop.
Yeah, of course it is. Roll-Eyes


Sorry I meant riding a bike while full of gear. No matter how you look at it if you do or don't take peds and push tour body and heart to its limits there will always be a risk of problems. The point I'm trying to make is everyone focuses on strength sports and I don't know why they don't focus on 99% of other sports that are rife with ped use
JCIcon...08-11-2014 @ 10:49 
Avatar
technical retard
Member 172, 36834 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
I'd love it if they brought in testing.

Unit94, Mills & Marsbar top 3 at WSM (could they find 10 clean athletes)

Oh, of course, Pfister was life time drug free....Roll-Eyes
DL1987Icon...08-11-2014 @ 10:50 
Member 5105, 667 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 270
655.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 08.11.2014 @ 10:56 AM by DL1987
There were 25 deaths between 1975 and 2005 during marathons due to cardiac failure. That is a lot more than strength sports I assume
http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/risk/sports.html

Athletes ate 2.5times more at risk at heart failure than none athletes
http://www.drdavidgeier.com/statistics-sudden-cardiac-death/
kirkynickIcon...08-11-2014 @ 10:59 
Avatar
utter utter bastard.
Member 2606, 11461 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
JC said:I'd love it if they brought in testing.

Unit94, Mills & Marsbar top 3 at WSM (could they find 10 clean athletes)


I reckon Unit94, at least, is going to get to WSM for real.

1234567

© Sugden Barbell 2019 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto