REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 25 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.

Celebrity Powerlifters

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

12345678

Martin1956Icon...05-12-2007 @ 15:28 
Avatar
used to be Scotlands Best Bencher
Member 75, 6939 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Carl said:

saying that rob, hayden outsquats phil vickery by quite a way


Yeah, but in fairness even I can outsquat the "This Morning" cook.Grin
JCIcon...05-12-2007 @ 15:35 
Avatar
technical retard
Member 172, 36834 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Rob said:
Some interesting comments.

When I said most pro rugby players would piss over powerlifters, I said regional powerlifters - so average ones in other words. Anyone who competes at a national level or above is obviously considered better than average in my book.



I have in the past trained with quite a few pro rugby players, and on the whole they aren't that strong, especially for the weight cats they would compete in

obvioulsy there are exceptions, and these will be the publicised ones, but on a whole that aren'y hugely strong in the 3 lifts IME
CarlIcon...05-12-2007 @ 15:38 
Avatar
Loves rugby league ...
Member 13, 14460 posts
SQ 230, BP 180.5, DL 262.5
673.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
Administrator
Martin1956 said:
Carl said:

saying that rob, hayden outsquats phil vickery by quite a way


Yeah, but in fairness even I can outsquat the "This Morning" cook.Grin


lol

seriously, he struggled with 180 for 3
TitchIcon...05-12-2007 @ 15:46 
Avatar
One Sexy MoFo
Member 101, 2470 posts
Carl said:
well said porkpie

negativity is contageous

Shut the f**k up you c**t.
CarlIcon...05-12-2007 @ 15:50 
Avatar
Loves rugby league ...
Member 13, 14460 posts
SQ 230, BP 180.5, DL 262.5
673.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
Administrator
Post Edited: 05.12.2007 @ 15:50 PM
make me, shorty
TitchIcon...05-12-2007 @ 15:53 
Avatar
One Sexy MoFo
Member 101, 2470 posts
Carl said:
make me, shorty

Why the negativity?
CarlIcon...05-12-2007 @ 15:58 
Avatar
Loves rugby league ...
Member 13, 14460 posts
SQ 230, BP 180.5, DL 262.5
673.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
Administrator
its contageous
TitchIcon...05-12-2007 @ 15:58 
Avatar
One Sexy MoFo
Member 101, 2470 posts
Carl said:
its contageous

I love you.
Martin1956Icon...05-12-2007 @ 16:07 
Avatar
used to be Scotlands Best Bencher
Member 75, 6939 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Right. Let's forget Daniel Craig. Red herring example that has clearly diverted people away from the basic premise of the post. Yes, lots of pro rugby players will be piss poor powerlifters. But that's not my point EITHER, which is that SOME well known retired athletes (in the broadest sense) who may or may not include ex rugby players, may make half decent powerlifters given adequate coaching and training. Similarly with celebrities, many of who are well into the whole gym culture.

IF that were to be the case, it would attract some media interest, that would switch more people on to the sport, and perhaps, just perhaps, in ten years time it would have a much better public profile and a much larger lifter base than it does at the moment. That's all I'm saying, and I was merely seeking suggestions as to who might fit the bill.

You have to bear in mind that not only does the average Joe in the average gym not have a clue about how to get into powerlifting, but neither do most of the gym owners/managers. Most of them have never heard of BWLA, BDFPA, BPC, BPO, etc. From that, it would be reasonable to assume that if the sport got more coverage, more people would find their way into the sport. We could start a process that MIGHT end up with that coverage by a few emails to likely "names" at virtually no cost, financial or otherwise.

So if you have any names, please let me know. If you don't think it'll work, that's fine, but as Carl points out, negativity can be contageous. In my lexicon "pie in the sky" and "fairy tale land" equate to an absolutely stupid/crazy idea from a stupid/crazy person so don't be surprised if I react to the implicit message in such words.
marcIcon...05-12-2007 @ 16:08 
Avatar
Dancing queenfeel the beat from the tambourine
Member 84, 2413 posts
SQ 225, BP 170, DL 275
670.0 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
I like this thread well done Martin. Celebities are skin and bone just like the rest of us, some potentially strong some not. If they realised they could use powerlifts as part of there fitness regimen they might find powerlifting more appealing. Unfortunatley the pt's, gym instructors of this world would rather teach people balancing acts on oversized footballs, hammer strength bench pressing and lateral raises. I have worked in gymnasiums here, America and very rarely have i seen the deadlift used as part of a regimen unless the gym for want of a better word hardcore. What i am trying to say is if the big three were used more often then maybe more people would be more interested. Another little rant Martin promotes powerlifting more than anyone i know, so you negative people out there are exactly what the sport doesn't need, so rather than negativity why not use those brilliant minds of yours,thinking of ways to promote the sport you supposedly likeHappy
marcIcon...05-12-2007 @ 16:12 
Avatar
Dancing queenfeel the beat from the tambourine
Member 84, 2413 posts
SQ 225, BP 170, DL 275
670.0 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
Jonathon Edwards, Martin email Kerry at cnp, he has a lot of lifters at his gym. I will pm you his email hes away at the moment but is very helpful.
RobIcon...05-12-2007 @ 16:18 
Avatar
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
Martin1956 said:
So if you have any names, please let me know. If you don't think it'll work, that's fine, but as Carl points out, negativity can be contageous. In my lexicon "pie in the sky" and "fairy tale land" equate to an absolutely stupid/crazy idea from a stupid/crazy person so don't be surprised if I react to the implicit message in such words.

I think both you and Carl, and others, are over-reacting with this whole 'negativity sparks negativity' notion. The thread has ended up being a valuable discussion offering logical reasons and suggestions from both sides of the debate. Understanding the idea is half the puzzle, allowing you to put it into action far more effectively if you choose to do so.

As for believing that myself or Icepick were indirectly calling you crazy or stupid, that's ridiculous. The sanest of people can have the craziest ideas (I'm talking generally here not in specific reference to this one), so please don't be offended.
Martin1956Icon...05-12-2007 @ 16:29 
Avatar
used to be Scotlands Best Bencher
Member 75, 6939 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Post Edited: 05.12.2007 @ 16:30 PM
marc said:
I like this thread well done Martin. Celebities are skin and bone just like the rest of us, some potentially strong some not. If they realised they could use powerlifts as part of there fitness regimen they might find powerlifting more appealing. Unfortunatley the pt's, gym instructors of this world would rather teach people balancing acts on oversized footballs, hammer strength bench pressing and lateral raises. I have worked in gymnasiums here, America and very rarely have i seen the deadlift used as part of a regimen unless the gym for want of a better word hardcore. What i am trying to say is if the big three were used more often then maybe more people would be more interested. Another little rant Martin promotes powerlifting more than anyone i know, so you negative people out there are exactly what the sport doesn't need, so rather than negativity why not use those brilliant minds of yours,thinking of ways to promote the sport you supposedly likeHappy


Thanks Marc, but I reckon Rob does about 50 times more than me just by setting up and running this site! However he still hasn't installed the arselicking icon.Grin
CarlIcon...05-12-2007 @ 16:29 
Avatar
Loves rugby league ...
Member 13, 14460 posts
SQ 230, BP 180.5, DL 262.5
673.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
Administrator
the thing is though, anytime someone comes up with an idea to get powerlifting more coverage, the same lines come up, time and time again

how can the sport gain recognition if the people that compete in it think its boring?

most people think powerlifting is oly lifting
IcepickIcon...05-12-2007 @ 16:32 
Avatar
still a cock
Member 55, 1213 posts
SQ 50, BP 25, DL 55
130.0 kgs @ 0.1kgs UnEq
marc said:
so you negative people out there are exactly what the sport doesn't need


LMAO, sorry for being a little realistic, maybe I should call hello magazine to come and take pics at my next competition. Agreed with everything Rob has said!!

12345678

© Sugden Barbell 2019 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto