REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 207 guests

Celebrity Powerlifters

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

little_aIcon...05-12-2007 @ 12:34 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Rob said:
I'm sure most of them lift weights in trainings that would piss over most regional competitors and it wouldn't take them long to be winning national competitions; a lot of pro rugby players are the cream of the crop when it comes to power sports.

I think you would be surprised at how well our regional PL's would fair against the best rugby players Rob.
I take your point that celebs from most walks wouldnt be interested in lifting. Lets be honest, a lot of lifters arnt interested in lifting let alone celebs, but it's good that someone is thinking along these lines. Without new blood the sport WILL dieUnhappy
JCIcon...05-12-2007 @ 12:40 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
personally, for someone new to the sport, i think there is not enough unequipped lifting

obvioulsy when you become interested in the sport, the first thought is not to compete equipped

equipment is foreign to the newbie, plus there is the expense involved

just my 2pence from someone new to PL
TitchIcon...05-12-2007 @ 12:43 
One Sexy MoFo
Member 101, 2470 posts
JC said:
personally, for someone new to the sport, i think there is not enough unequipped lifting

obvioulsy when you become interested in the sport, the first thought is not to compete equipped

equipment is foreign to the newbie, plus there is the expense involved

just my 2pence from someone new to PL

Yep. That's the whole point of BWLA's Unequipped comps I believe. They only started 3-4 years ago or something and I think they were intended to get new lifters into the sport.
Martin1956Icon...05-12-2007 @ 13:11 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7711 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Pie in the sky? Fairy Tale Land? I've rewritten my initial response to those comments, but if that's the typical reaction to anyone coming up with new ideas to enhance the sport, then perhaps it's little wonder that so few show their heads above the parapet.

Obviously 99% of well known names would not be interested, but I was only talking about getting a couple of well known people involved as bona fide lifters. That may attract press interest and raise the profile of the sport. And why would such people do it for no money? How about love of the sport? The challenge? Keeping in shape? The stimulus of competition? The camaraderie? The cudos of titles and records? In other words, the same reasons as the rest of us.

Ultimately it may not work, but I come from the school that would prefer to try and fail than not bother trying.
brynevansIcon...05-12-2007 @ 13:12 
Scotbasher - forever
Member 59, 2115 posts
We are having the BWLA NWC unequipped bench on Feb 10th at Rhinos, keep an eye out for our full list of events in this next couple of days. Its something to aim for as a beginner.
JCIcon...05-12-2007 @ 13:31 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
brynevans said:
We are having the BWLA NWC unequipped bench on Feb 10th at Rhinos, keep an eye out for our full list of events in this next couple of days. Its something to aim for as a beginner.

Good news Bryn, I will definitely be competing in this
JCIcon...05-12-2007 @ 13:31 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 05.12.2007 @ 13:34 PM
Martin1956 said:
Obviously 99% of well known names would not be interested, but I was only talking about getting a couple of well known people involved as bona fide lifters. That may attract press interest and raise the profile of the sport. And why would such people do it for no money? How about love of the sport? The challenge? Keeping in shape? The stimulus of competition? The camaraderie? The cudos of titles and records? In other words, the same reasons as the rest of us.

I cant see why it would be a problem for former pros if they lift anyway

the only further demand on their time would be the odd comp date, so no presuures on family life etc

Martin, my mate is a a pro Rugby player, so if that the route you decide to go I will ask him if he knows or knows someone who knows, someone who may be interested (confused myself then Confused )
Silver_OldieIcon...05-12-2007 @ 13:36 
Silver Surfer
Member 163, 321 posts
SQ 0, BP 95, DL 0
95.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Rob said:
The thing about rugby players is what is going to make them want to win a medal at an amateur sport when they have already achieved far greater things in their professional careers. Would it even be a challenge? Hell, I'm sure most of them lift weights in trainings that would piss over most regional competitors and it wouldn't take them long to be winning national competitions; a lot of pro rugby players are the cream of the crop when it comes to power sports.

What's a powerlifting medal when you have a world cup winners medal? Most of these guys when finishing will be busy spending extra time with their families or deciding what career path to go down; I doubt pursuing a new sport would be high on the agenda.

Personally I think the whole idea is pie in the sky, I could only see a cut down version of it working where one of the said celebrities attended a competition as a guest lifter to put on more of an exhibition - and then it would probably have to be approached from the angle of raising money for charity to actually get them to do it.
JCIcon...05-12-2007 @ 13:48 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
eh ^^^^^ Confused
Silver_OldieIcon...05-12-2007 @ 13:50 
Silver Surfer
Member 163, 321 posts
SQ 0, BP 95, DL 0
95.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Sorry buggered that last bit up Rob...Just wanted to say that I agree with pretty much all you said in that post....BUT I do think it depends on the make up of the individual concerned.Some retired sportsmen put on weight and look like s**t ,some look great and are clearly doing something other than playing golf to stay in shape...Ever watch masters footie to see the differences?...On the subject of masters wooud there be any if we all thought we should spend more time with our families or worry about fitting things in around their jobs. Just my opinion of course
Silver_Oldie RTDWink
PorkPieIcon...05-12-2007 @ 13:52 
Do hugs, not drugs.
Member 136, 712 posts
SQ 380, BP 242.5, DL 330
952.5 kgs @ 110kgs Eq
Brain Hooper - former Olympic pole vaulter, MCs for BPC events and has competed in powerlifting since his retirement from Olympic sport.

I disagree with Rob's comments on two fronts, knowing as I do several professional rugby players having advised them on sports "supplementation"...

First off - once a sportsman, always a sportsman - its in you to compete, you don't lose it.

Secondly, powerlifters would piss all over rugby players - not because we are stronger per se, but because we train hard for strength and they do not.

Those of you who have disagreed with Martin and offered an alternative - good on you. Those of you who have said "s**t idea" and not come up with anything contructive yourself try and do a bit better will you?
CarlIcon...05-12-2007 @ 14:11 
Loves rugby league ...
Member 13, 14460 posts
SQ 230, BP 180.5, DL 262.5
673.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
Administrator
well said porkpie

negativity is contageous
Silver_OldieIcon...05-12-2007 @ 14:25 
Silver Surfer
Member 163, 321 posts
SQ 0, BP 95, DL 0
95.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
I agree with Porkpie ...Rugby training is structured for rugby ..Sure they have some pretty good squat numbers but they also have got to be able to do a respectable verticle jump....Also run around a bit and sprint when required Tongue
RobIcon...05-12-2007 @ 15:14 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
Some interesting comments.

When I said most pro rugby players would piss over powerlifters, I said regional powerlifters - so average ones in other words. Anyone who competes at a national level or above is obviously considered better than average in my book.

I still can't grasp why people think pro rugby players are going to find powerlifting anywhere near as competitive - it's a far cry from the things they will have achieved in rugby. Let's face it, powerlifting is an amateur sport with a minuscule audience and would be deemed a hobby and not a sport by most of the population.

Expanding on my earlier example of a world cup winner, how excited will an ex professional who has played in front of tens of thousands of people be in lifting in front of (in the majority competitions in this country) upto 50 at the most.

I'm not trying to piss on your parade Martin, because you have some great ideas and are obviously very committed to taking powerlifting forwards. I'm just saying that I don't think this is a great one - I think it has a lot of holes in it and if you were to approach it then you would need to keep your feet on the ground. Daniel Craig? It's just way too unrealistic in my opinion.

There are lots of ways to take things forwards but as in many other walks of life plenty of things fall through because people just set their aims too high and waste time or resources which could have been better directed elsewhere.
CarlIcon...05-12-2007 @ 15:24 
Loves rugby league ...
Member 13, 14460 posts
SQ 230, BP 180.5, DL 262.5
673.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
Administrator
the thing is rob, having a big name at the event would get more than 0 people there, thats the point, unless i have completely missed the point

saying that rob, hayden outsquats phil vickery by quite a way

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions