REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 140 guests
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitBlessed?

Blessed?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

little_aIcon...28-06-2011 @ 15:19 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Martin1956 said:
If I did power cleans, would I look more like you?
I would advise against them if there was a chance you'd look like me, although you may smell as nice as I do.

I read in a semi recent Focus mag that genetics accounts for about 25% of the chances of getting serious/ terminal illnesses. The rest is lifestyle, diet, activity rates etc. Dont know how they worked out the odds, but Focus are more cleverer than me I think.

As someone else on here said I think stress is the big one, with hormone laden, processed diets coming in a close second. Spewing out contraceptive pills to young girls for 30 year courses en masse can't be ideal either. Guess we dont always have much choice over lifestyle choices. Pffft.

Getting back to Martin, I have to point out that he's also got a great head of hair for an old guy.
richcooperIcon...28-06-2011 @ 17:29 
Member 1882, 120 posts
SQ 310, BP 230, DL 330
870.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Slightly off topic but have you noticed how the fit girls from school are all overweight with 4 kids from 6 different dads and the girls you wouldn't go near seem to have developed rather well??!
Age truly is a funny thing but in essence just a number, just depends what you do on the way to that number!
bignige1986Icon...28-06-2011 @ 17:43 
Taleban says his views on women are extreme
Member 639, 3518 posts
SQ 10, BP 10, DL 10
30.0 kgs @ 10kgs Eq
richcooper said:Slightly off topic but have you noticed how the fit girls from school are all overweight with 4 kids from 6 different dads and the girls you wouldn't go near seem to have developed rather well??!
Age truly is a funny thing but in essence just a number, just depends what you do on the way to that number!

Here, here ! Completely agree...
WiegieboardIcon...28-06-2011 @ 19:41 
as crimson as my last victims underclothing.....
Member 899, 11324 posts
SQ 180, BP 132.5, DL 190
502.5 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
Wayne_Cowdrey said:Moderation is the key.

I think my lazy approach to training will pay dividends in the long run.

Stress avoidance is a big factor. Stress ages people. I believe taking a light-hearted approach to life helps in this area.

I have to agree with this. People think I'm twenty years younger (I'm only 26) than they did 3 years ago and I put it all down to working too hard and stress.
chrisjenkinsIcon...28-06-2011 @ 20:44 
enter the welsh dragon
Member 738, 2297 posts
SQ 372.5, BP 237.5, DL 355
965.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
MrSmall said:What's the big deal about looking a year older than you are?

Grin Grin Grin

I think lifting weights with good technique can only help your body support itself better in later life.
The runner, hard man etc, did they ever do any work to strengthen their posture, or injury prevention stuff in their lower or upper bodies? Most likely not. This sort of stuff we do whether we think about it or not. Guys that squat 200kg will have stronger knee joints than guys that don't, I don't think anyone can dispute this? If its a partial horrendous technique squat then it will probably do more harm than good sure, but on the whole, I think we are doing something right.

Another prize winning post from Smalls
IainKendrickIcon...28-06-2011 @ 20:47 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Blessed? If your schlong falls out the bottom of your shorts al the time Wink
CuddlesIcon...29-06-2011 @ 09:07 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
little_a said: Spewing out contraceptive pills to young girls for 30 year courses en masse can't be ideal either.

Care to elaborate why?
StetecIcon...29-06-2011 @ 09:29 
Thing thinks he can decide what goes here. He cant
Member 354, 1452 posts
I think genetics will play a part. But the best genetics in the world won't help you if you don't take care of your body with exercise, good food etc.

There's 2 old guys at our gym. They are both 78 iirc. 1 is a typical local white guy, he trains hard, really nice guy etc. He looks 98. I worry about him every time he gets under a weight. All 20k of it. The other one is from Fiji. Former All Blacks player, his son played for Fiji and Newcastle Falcons, his grandson is the next big thing in rugby etc. The guy is a man mountain, looks about 50 and is probably the biggest dead lifter in the gym.

They've both trained hard all their lives.
little_aIcon...29-06-2011 @ 09:39 
Member 43, 14374 posts
Cuddles said:
Care to elaborate why?

I just dont think it likely to be healthy for a population to have artificial hormones introduced long term, be it directly or indirectly. I have no links to studies to back this up. As I say, I don't think it's ideal.
CuddlesIcon...29-06-2011 @ 09:52 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
little_a said:
I just dont think it likely to be healthy for a population to have artificial hormones introduced long term, be it directly or indirectly. I have no links to studies to back this up. As I say, I don't think it's ideal.

That's fair enough and probably a pretty popular point of view.

I only asked because I was speaking with a very respected scientist recently who claimed the exact opposite. His view was that the common viewpoint of 'it cant be healthy in the long run' was complete bunkham based on nothing more than hunch and that most respected science points to the contrary.

I cant claim to know anything on the subject!
JCIcon...29-06-2011 @ 10:06 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Cuddles said:
That's fair enough and probably a pretty popular point of view.
I only asked because I was speaking with a very respected scientist recently who claimed the exact opposite. His view was that the common viewpoint of 'it cant be healthy in the long run' was complete bunkham based on nothing more than hunch and that most respected science points to the contrary.
I cant claim to know anything on the subject!

So you're saying said scientists claims its actually good for long term health?
little_aIcon...29-06-2011 @ 11:04 
Member 43, 14374 posts
JC said:

I'm scepticle TBH. Obesity, diabetes etc is taking over for some reason/s, and there are some startling stats in the GB RE fertility etc. Still, he's a scientist and I'm not so I'll have to go with the brains on this one (although begrudgingly lol).
CPIcon...29-06-2011 @ 11:08 
Member 830, 314 posts
SQ 235, BP 155, DL 240
630.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
JC said:

I think there is a lot of eveidence now that resistance training results in numerous health benefits, especially in populations where muscle wasting occurs such as the elderly.

Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2007 Dec;32(6):1198-205.
Resistance exercise: good for more than just Grandma and Grandpa's muscles.
Phillips SM.
SourceExercise Metabolism Research Group, McMaster University, 1280 Main St. West, Hamilton, ON L8S 4K1. phillis@mcmaster.ca

Abstract
Progressive resistance training promotes strength gains in both the young and the aged. Importantly, gains in strength in aged persons are, with the appropriate duration, intensity, and progression, not simply due to neuromuscular mechanisms, but also encompass muscle fibre hypertrophy. Critically, the resistance exercise-induced changes in aged skeletal muscle are associated with numerous health benefits, the most obvious of which are the gains in strength and, with the correct training program, power; as a result, functional independence is improved and the risk for falls is apparently reduced. Aside from the well-documented effects of resistance training on strength and power, a body of research is now beginning to emerge that shows resistance exercise also promotes metabolic health. This is crucial information, since it effectively highlights an underappreciated aspect of resistance exercise. Specifically, resistance exercise not only promotes strength gains, but also reduces risk for diabetes and cardiovascular disease. The benefits of resistance exercise do not end at metabolic health, however, and "spill over" into many other realms. In fact, resistance exercise programs have been shown to reduce participants' use of the health care system. Viewed collectively, the multiple benefits of resistance exercise represent an attractive option for our aging population to enhance and maintain their health from a number of perspectives that are not achievable through pharmacological intervention or with solely aerobic-based exercise.
little_aIcon...29-06-2011 @ 11:47 
Member 43, 14374 posts
CP said:
I think there is a lot of eveidence now that resistance training results in numerous health benefits, especially in populations where muscle wasting occurs such as the elderly.

I dont think that is in question. Cuddles, myself and JC were skewing off on the additional hormone into the polulace tangent. I think.Happy
DanIcon...29-06-2011 @ 12:01 
Dan is old fashioned.
Member 27, 2028 posts
SQ 240, BP 170, DL 255
665.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
Got to jump on your bandwagon Martin.

I'm 43, very nearly 44, never been to a Doctor or a Dentist in my life. Actually I've seen my Doctor once, see below !

I'm not even registered with a Doctor now. My family Doctor retired, was replaced, and his replacement retired and I never got to meet either of them.

I'm never ill barring the odd cold, and don't have a single filling - or Gold tooth in my head.

If I ever do feel off colour I have an early night and wake up feeling fine.
I've never even taken Paracetamol in my life - although I did eat a Space Cake in Amsterdam once !

Someone once told me that an Aspirin a day was good for you, so I started taking them. A few days later I started getting headaches, so stopped taking the Aspirin !

I've had 13 car crashes - I used to do a lot of Motorsport - most of them at high speed and never been hurt. I once went through a windscreen in a crash, got up completely unhurt and got my mate out of the car. He was wearing a seatbelt which trapped him in the car and broke his collar bone. Another time I hit a lamppost sideways at 80mph. I had big chunks of windscreen in my mouth and a few scratches on my face. My passenger had to have 32 steel pins in his legs...

I hit a car once when I was on a pushbike. The driver was coming towards me and turned directly across my path without indicating, heading for a side street. I hit the car so hard I burst it's tyre with my front wheel and left impressions of my knuckles in the front wing. I hit the windscreen and went over the roof and off the other side. Immediately jumped up and went to drag the driver out of the car to give him a good pasting. The car was a write off, my knuckles swelled up to three times their normal size and I had to have an operation to re-attach my left kneecap. The Police said I was incredibly lucky.

When I was discharged from Hospital they referred me to my GP who weighed me, measured me, shook my hand and said it was nice to finally meet me, and sent me home. That's the only time I ever saw him.

I did the doors for 8 years in my youth. I have had bottles over my head, been stabbed in the leg and had a gun put to my throat by a drug dealer. I have a couple of minor scars and that's it.

I bump into old mates from School and they look f**ked, most of them look 50, big bellies, grey hair, the works. They look like they are just waiting to die. Most of them drink every night and it certainly seems to be taking it's toll. The smokers look ten years older than everyone else.

On Saturday I was chatted up in a pub by a lass who turned out to be 23. She thought I was in my 30's. Thankfully this is not unusual ;-)

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitBlessed?
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions