JDIconBack injury- strengthening core etc09-04-2009 @ 10:18 
Not to be confused with JC
Member 60, 366 posts
SQ 140, BP 75, DL 150
365.0 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 09.04.2009 @ 10:18 AM by JD
Back injury- strengthening core etc

Hi guys

Ok got to a point where I cant really dead lift. Following physio’s advice I started dead lifting very light. However I did 80k (probably to quickly) cause everything felt really good at lower weights and my back went and I was out for a week again. Its like it all cramps up and goes solid and is extremely painful.
Is there anything anyone would suggest for strengthen the core or lower back area to help it recover and try to be able to dead lift again. I am going to be trying different heights and positions, like trap bar etc it does tend to be the initial pop from the floor.

I am however trying to get stuff in my garage as cant be doing with jjb gym anymore. Heap of crap. So be a little while before I got the cash for some decent weights.

I am training more core.
What I am doing atm is
Bridge plank, one arm and one leg raised while kneeling (don’t know name), arm out on side, crunches on gym ball, side crunches on gym ball, hypers on gym ball,
Then stretch with back twist/crack thingy, on back leg raised pull towards me, and then knee bent pulling towards.

While it has been getting better I am no where near able to lift properly. The reason from what I understand is my spine is a bit curved. And when it went it causes the bottom vertebrae to fuse together. Now it a lot more the muscles around it that seem to go solid. And therefore it can pivot in the wrong place. think ive explained that right. Though he has said it is something I will have to deal with as I am always going to have some discomfort and pain. But I want to get where it is liveable. Due to the fact I work in an office sitting down all day doesn’t help. It has started spreading to going down he leg a touch and my bo***cks. Always good for blaging a massage there from my gf. When I walk tend it tends to free itself and feel a lot better hence started doing some decent walks.

But im after ways of making it stronger so I will hopefully be able to dead lift properly again, and able to train. Any core work you guys think may work or stretches/ exercises? I aim to do my core every 2 days and stretches every day. They really free the back up when it feels painful and tight.
really dont want the dream to go. though it can give me time to look into other stuff i can do.
RobIcon...09-04-2009 @ 10:22 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
Just a thought, but you've not mentioned your deadlift form in all this - and that's the exercise giving you trouble? Might be worth posting a video of it to make sure it's spot on otherwise you could just be barking up the wrong tree.

Sounds like you're just going to have go down a lot of different avenues with this one until you find the right one to solve your problems.
BoarIcon...09-04-2009 @ 10:28 
Walk your talk
Member 5, 25557 posts
Administrator
i have these dvd's which is an amazing watch , some very interesting stuff to give you some insight into the lower back / core.

sounds like the muscles spasm to protect the lowerback

anyhoo , ive said it many times , but kettlebell swings (dumbell swings) help retrain the core muscles to work/fire properly and strengthen the whole core

PM me if you want to borrow my original dvd's
JDIcon...09-04-2009 @ 10:28 
Member 60, 366 posts
SQ 140, BP 75, DL 150
365.0 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
i will try get a vid, probably when get the garage sorted will be able to take one.
it has happened on toehr stuff,. lifting a box of suspension from seat of my car etc. yet carried stuff around no problem. just seems to be i think if my body is at all forward if that makes sense.
JDIcon...09-04-2009 @ 10:29 
Member 60, 366 posts
SQ 140, BP 75, DL 150
365.0 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 09.04.2009 @ 10:30 AM by JD
cheers boar
i ahve been looking at swings for a long while. alot of guys recommend them on spartan warriors.
staplegun16Icon...09-04-2009 @ 10:33 
Even his dad lifts more
Member 388, 313 posts
SQ 315, BP 210, DL 285
810.0 kgs @ 98kgs Eq
hey, i hurt my back a while ago, not the same injury as you, but with most back problems they told me to work on core strength... i think they told me to work the transverve abdominals.. or somthing like that. obviously sit ups and that crap doesnt work, because its the deep muscle you need to hit.. they gave me this funny exercise to try... its hard to explain.. but ill do my best.
lay on you back, flat, and push your finigers into your belly about 4-5 inches below your belly button.. dont be afraid to push hard. then cough, when you cough you should feel your transverse ab push against your fingers.. thats the part to work, so try to contract that muscle now ( without the coughing) and hold it as tight as you can for 10 sec a time.. obviously just work this into some kind of set, somthing like 5 *10sec holds 3 sets, and increase as you improve... not sure this will help with what you have, but its what physio had me doing.
IcepickIcon...09-04-2009 @ 10:35 
still a cock
Member 55, 1213 posts
SQ 50, BP 25, DL 55
130.0 kgs @ 0.1kgs UnEq
Simple really, stop deadlifting. They are not needed unless you are a powerlifter and need to do them in competition and even then, you won't get far with a glass back.
JDIcon...09-04-2009 @ 10:36 
Member 60, 366 posts
SQ 140, BP 75, DL 150
365.0 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 09.04.2009 @ 10:38 AM by JD
the core stuff i do was from the physio. with some extra plank work put in there.

that sounds intresting haha. will try figure it out and have a go

icepick- i suppose, i do love deadlifting though. myabe i can use other stuff to get there, but would think fairly important in strongman stuff in the future? and if its possible i still want to train to compete one day.
drewIcon...09-04-2009 @ 10:48 
I thought Joplin choked on a sandwich?
Member 616, 8404 posts
SQ 180, BP 130, DL 220
530.0 kgs @ 78.8kgs UnEq
leave your ego at the door nd dont deadlift for a while. the 1 arm 1 leg things are bird dogs i think. if its a bad as you make it sound you dont want to rush things.

how about (light) overhead squats and a light weight over head and walking around. think in the mechanics involved in them, nothing will get the 'core' like it
staplegun16Icon...09-04-2009 @ 10:48 
Even his dad lifts more
Member 388, 313 posts
SQ 315, BP 210, DL 285
810.0 kgs @ 98kgs Eq
yeh, i wouldnt give up.. when i did my back in i couldnt even tie my shoe lace, forget deadlifting or squating.. i tought it was the end of lifting, and at some points i would have been happy just to be pain free during the day. it took me 6 months to get over, i saw numerous physio's consultants, sports injury clinics even bloody acupuncture.. so dont give up on it sooner or later you'll find somthing that works, and before you know it, you 'll be back to full strangth, with me it was just a chance meet with someone in a gym who suggested it sounded like a facet joint injury, i started having treatment, and within a month i was back deadlifting again. so dont be afraid to try things out. and seek other advise (unless you really trust you physio's diagnosis)
nathanIcon...09-04-2009 @ 10:49 
no longer sugdens strongest man
Member 455, 1336 posts
the thing with the back is it can be many issues. you spine not centre and not working it sfull portencial your hamstrings pulling your lower back down. your abs not tight enough. so core work is a big thing so to is stretching.

ive found strecthing to be a big thing with me there lots if strecthes on you tube to help.
go and see an osteopath once a month to get realined and they will massage you lower back
a physio only does massage.

one thing aspirin helps circulation and maybe you lower back getting pumped to quick full of blood
JDIcon...09-04-2009 @ 10:56 
Member 60, 366 posts
SQ 140, BP 75, DL 150
365.0 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
asprin, interesting.

yeah it gets to where i just cant do anything. which annoys me to no end. i seem to be ok squatting, when i keep triple or higher. just pulling.
some great advice cheers guys.
FazcIcon...09-04-2009 @ 12:59 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
A couple of things:

When rehabbing, after the initial period of rest more rest isn't going to do you any good. The body doesn't respond well to long-term periods of inactivity, that won't get you stronger and it won't rehab you in itself. So when you are to the point where the strong/sharp pain has dissapeared and you only have a dull ache then start to do something every day. Even if its just some unweighted Good Mornings done at home, do that bending over with a straight back some 20-100 times each day for a couple of weeks. Get the blood back into your muscles, give them a reason to be strong again.

Begin Trigger Point Therapy. This has been invaluable in getting me back in the gym on a couple of occasions. Look up a book on it from amazon or something and get started. (Bonnie Prudden is a good author on the subject)

Best of luck
JDIcon...09-04-2009 @ 13:26 
Member 60, 366 posts
SQ 140, BP 75, DL 150
365.0 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
been reccomended a book a few people have used and is on its way to me.

that why as soon as i can move again i start doing some core and other stuff, manages to free it up. i was thinking unweighted good mornings. tried some other day but was very difficult. though keep doing them should improve and hopefully ill be able to get lower etc.
ThingIcon...09-04-2009 @ 13:56 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
JD listen to Boar these exercise as tried andtested and work!!!

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions