Who's Online - 0 members and 134 guests

BWLA membership = bullshit

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

JoniIconBWLA membership = bullshit12-02-2007 @ 13:58 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
ok, i have always been quite understanding about this issue, but now since mulling over it more and more, and comparing this all to the easyness of entering a strongman comp i have reached a conclusion.

BWLA membership is just a f**king rip off bulls**t byreocratic powertrip wannabe bas***d of an obstacle to the spread and popularity of our sport.

last year we did that NW open comp. We needed to join BWLA = 25. We also needed to pay for the comp = 8. 33 for the one comp, no membership newsletter, not even anyone getting in touch about local comps being organised!

Its quite a rip off i think and i dont think i will do it again before i have the qualifying total under control.

But i would still like to compete in PL - so thats a pickle!

Compare all this s**t to strongman: you pay the entry fee, get a t-shirt and just f**king have a go at the weights. No federations, bureocracy, bulls**t. Lots of grassroots camraderieship, involvement of loads more people and so on.

Sorry, just had to vent... Angry
CuddlesIcon...12-02-2007 @ 14:06 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
I like that you stole my vent!Grin

Couldnt agree more mate.
RickIcon...12-02-2007 @ 18:43 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10034 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
Still no date published anywhere that I can see for any NW comp this year, apart from "NW counties bench press, venue TBH" - next Sunday. *shrug*.

Can't see myself doing this any time soon, tbh.

The BDFPA don't seem to have any NW activity either, sadly.
RobIcon...13-02-2007 @ 13:03 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
It is pretty dire organistation up to now. Hopefully someone will pull their thumb out.

It's no wonder events like the Manchester and District Competition got cancelled last year... there is little to no communication with the wider lifting public it seems.

Having a regional website is great but it means jack s**t if it's never updated (note that this is more likely to be through a lack of information from organisers than the webmaster who seems to be doing a good job in general).

Having said that I still hope to compete in the Unequipped, whenever it is Roll-Eyes Roll-Eyes

I won't be shelling out for membership before it's announced though! And yes, the yearly membership does seem excessive (how much of this money is actually reinvested in powerlifting and not weightlifting!?). However the competition entry fees I don't think are that steep. At the Lancs and Cheshire I think every lifter receiving a small trophy (more if they won their class) so you have to factor such costs into the fee.
CuddlesIcon...13-02-2007 @ 13:11 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
I agree with that, its not too much to enter, I think the yearly membership stinks though. It's also hardly the way to go if we want this sport to grow. You basically say to any new lifters that for a first comp (ie to see if they like it) they have to shell out membership for a year, entry fee, and they have to buy at least a singlet. Doesn't exactly make it accessible to begin with but then add the fact that us guys who want to know about comps cant find anything, what chance does the new lifter have?!
JoniIcon...13-02-2007 @ 14:28 
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
word.

i emailed the regional secretary weeks ago asking when the NW open will be held - no reply Unhappy

trouble is that i cant make the last weekend of april for sure, and other weekends start filling in now already because the comp date is not announced.

Anyways, i love powerlifting and i believe so does hundreds of others who just choose to wait and wait and wait before shelling out all the money to take part in the comps. Comps should not only be about measuring the best ones out there but it should act as a promoter of the sport and an entry point for new lifters to get in.

Hey WPO/BPC guys, is it the same with that org?
DavidIcon...13-02-2007 @ 14:35 
I ♥ Dr. Gillian McKeith
Member 17, 742 posts
SQ 0, BP 180, DL 0
180.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
I've got to say, it does seem pretty terrible! It does seem very expensive too.

Like Rob i wont be joining until the April comp is announced.
little_aIcon...13-02-2007 @ 14:38 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
I believe BWLA is now being run by UKS (ie not BWLA members). Whether that proves to be a good thing or a bad thing time will tell.
When I was starting off (all those years ago) there were enough lifters to have friendly comps, and plenty of them. No pressure, but great for platform experience and always a good laugh. If you guys fancy a run out why not kick off a thread asking for interest in such a comp, and possible venue's. I can see the NW turning out 15+ of different levels who cant be arse with any federations or the sometimes silly rules that come with them. No long term solution especially for you lads aiming for nationals I know, but owts better than nowt
BoarIcon...13-02-2007 @ 17:13 
Walk your talk
Member 5, 25558 posts
Administrator
a guy on PLUK says its on april the 30th , the option of a 1 day membership for a tenner seems like a reasonable one for beginners (if it existed !!)
JoniIcon...14-02-2007 @ 09:26 
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 14.02.2007 @ 09:26 AM
1 day membership sounds like a great idea! Especally since for most that yearly membership is worth f**k ALL Grin

little_a, i like the idea of informal gym comps! Jim Blancflower was suggesting sugden vs salford fixture some day, maybe we could do domsthing like that. Just needs someone to organise it and call people to participate. Internet should make the organising task much easier.
SparrowIcon...14-02-2007 @ 11:45 
always lookIng for the extra UT2 work.
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
I'll email Jim if you want me to get this up and running Joni? As long as I can represent Sugden?Grin
FazcIcon...14-02-2007 @ 11:52 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
Originally posted by Rick...

The BDFPA don't seem to have any NW activity either, sadly.

NW BDFPA is actually pretty good. My brother and I have competed nearby a few times. Les Pilling rarely checks his email though Happy The guy to speak to is Mark Haydock about the NW stuff, he's from nearby Preston. Also Mark Norton from Sheffield seems to be taking care of most stuff now, he'll be another one.

The emails etc are at bdfpa.co.uk

Faz
JoniIcon...15-02-2007 @ 13:42 
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Originally posted by jonnymills...
I'll email Jim if you want me to get this up and running Joni? As long as I can represent Sugden?Grin

hey man, sugden would be honoured Grin

if it turns out there is no NW open this year, i think we should organise a non fed open raw PL meet in one of the PL gyms.

Jim emailed today about this actually, i'll report back when there are some concrete ideas to discuss and decide on.
RickIcon...15-02-2007 @ 18:46 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10034 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
Joni, we should do that anyway, man.
tokarIcon...15-02-2007 @ 20:54 
Невыносимо Высокомерный (RIP)
Member 11, 965 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 255
585.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Originally posted by Boar...
a guy on PLUK says its on april the 30th , the option of a 1 day membership for a tenner seems like a reasonable one for beginners (if it existed !!)

Doubtful - that's a Monday. But it was on the 30th last year, which was a Sunday. And of course, last year's dates are still up on the website under "Competitions"......

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions