REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 185 guests
You are here: HomeForumLukeC → View All Posts

View All Posts: LukeC

12345678910 ... ... 155156157158159160161162163164165

» Paralympic powerlifting BBC (Go to post)12-09-2008 @ 00:41 
Steve said:
The mens 56kg was won today with 202.5kg - 10kg more than the winner at the World Bench with no shirt and legs up.

Eek Eek

Thats freakin' insane.
» The Road to the Student Championships (Go to post)12-09-2008 @ 00:16 
So I found out yesterday the South Yorkshires closing date has passed, and I was too late. It was earlier than usual due to the organiser being on holiday, just my luck. So it looks like, for now at least, that the NW comp will be my first comp.

Tuesday 9/9/08 at Fitness First, Leeds

Squat:
60kg x 5
85kg x 5
105kg x 5
130kg x 5
152.5kg x 3 - 3 rep PB

Bench:
40kg x 5
47.5g x 5
55kg x 5
62.5kg x 5
(72.5kg x 3 - not attempted)
50kg x 8
---------------------------
So I was happy with my squat PB, its still going well but then my bench was screwed. On my final warm-up set my left forearm felt like it was going to give way, I fought through the 62.5kg set but I didn't fancy my chances with an extra 10kg in my hands. I did a set of 8 with 50kg to make up a little bit of the volume but it was still very dissapointing

Thursday 12//09 at Fitness First, Leeds

Squat:
60kg x 5
70kg x 5
80kg x 5

Deadlift:
60kg x 2
80kg x 5
100kg x 5
127.5kg x 5
152.5kg x 3 - 3 rep PB

Plus some assistance work, now my comp is a little bit longer away than I thought I need to work harder on this.
----------------
So I was happy with this session, a PB always feels good.

In other news I should be making my Addlington debut next Wednesday all being well so I might see some of you guys there!
» Proposed IPF rule change (Go to post)10-09-2008 @ 17:55 
Yeah I saw this earlier, common sense prevails!
» Proposed IPF rule change (Go to post)09-09-2008 @ 14:18 
It seems a pointless rule change to me. Why fix what isnt broken?
» ADLINGTON PUSH AND PULL - SATURDAY 13TH DECEMBER 2008 (Go to post)08-09-2008 @ 21:03 
I wouldnt want to speak for Wigan but there isnt usually a deadline for these things, as long as there is a rough number of people I guess. I think some people turn up on the day tbh.

Having been at the last two Addlington Push/Pull events I can tell you it is a great experience, well worth doing. You get to see some great lifting and do some lifting yourself with great support. There are always plenty of people willing to give some advice as well which is great.
» The Road to the Student Championships (Go to post)08-09-2008 @ 17:16 
The NW dosn't? Damn, nevermind. Whether I do that comp wont be down to getting a record anyway, it will depend on how training is going etc. so no huge dissapointment. Though, on the off chance, that anyone with the power to add a Un-equipped section to the NW comp, it would be more than welcome!

Anyways onto the training:

Sunday 8/9/08 at Fitness First, Leeds

Squat:
60kg x 5
80kg x 5
100kg x 5
125kg x 3 - repeated 5 times

Bench:
40kg x 5
50kg x 5
62.5kg x 3 - repeated 5 times, third reps done with a BAWLA pause and flat footed
--------------------------------
A pretty sucky squat session. I had no drive, no speed (even for me), and my depth was sketchy at best.
The reasons are probably pretty simple: 1. Not enough food before training and 2. Tired from sessions earlier in the week. Bench was better, far from perfect, but Im encouraged that I dont lose to much from the pause. I know I need to really work on my bench post-comp but if I hit something 70k+ next month I will be happy for a first effort.
» ADLINGTON PUSH AND PULL - SATURDAY 13TH DECEMBER 2008 (Go to post)08-09-2008 @ 17:01 
Depending on my comp schedule I may or not be in. Put me as a yes for now though. Happy
» The Road to the Student Championships (Go to post)06-09-2008 @ 19:57 
The Yorkshire and NE comp has an un-equipped catergory. I assumed, perhaps wrongly, the north-west comp in December would also but Id have to check that.
» Next Adlington Comp ? (Go to post)05-09-2008 @ 12:30 
Rick said:
Then the one after may well be deadlift medley: bars at 400lbs, 450, 500, 550, 600, for speed (like in strongman). There's also talk of double bodyweight deadlift for max reps at some point.

Both of these sound like fun. The second one would suit me a little bit better. I might manage 400 and 450 but anything beyond that and Im screwed! Would be great to watch though.

How about combining the two, so for people still dreaming of a 500lb deadlift could do the double bodyweight event and the bigger guys can do the medly. Just a thought.
» Ano Turtiainen biceps pop (Go to post)05-09-2008 @ 12:24 
Joni said:
maybe this is a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

Large biceps = strong arms = tendency to compensate lifts/technique with arm strength and put biceps in use in things like tyre flip, deadlift etc?

This is my thinking on the situation. For a lot of guys their bicep is far too weak, comparativly, to the other muscles they are putting into use, beack/legs etc., so the bicep never comes into play. However maybe some of these guys have stronger biceps, they start using them in deadlift when they really shouldnt and it tears.

Ive not seen this video yet, bicep tears freak me out, but it happened to a guy at the Brits and it was because he was bending his arms, in a way I think you could only do with really strong arms. I dont want to see if thats what this guy did, having seen the guy do it at the Brits its put me off seeing someone do it again!
» Guinness, murder and prostitutes (Go to post)04-09-2008 @ 21:28 
I should start reading this journal with the bulls**t filter on, that picture could give someone nightmares!
» The Road to the Student Championships (Go to post)04-09-2008 @ 21:26 
I should have guessed you were a military man MrSmall, nobody else would be crazy enough. Tongue

I might investigate a little further the whole starting a society thing but if its a lot of effort im not going to bother, my degree is a little bit more important!

Ive been doing a little investigating into the BAWLA records, all im going to say for now is if I don't get a un-equipped record squat in October I will be getting one in December.

Thursday 4/8/08 at Fitness First, Leeds

Squat:
50kg x 5
80kg x 5

Deadlift:
60kg x 2
70kg x 5
105kg x 5
125kg x 5
150kg x 3 - 3 rep PB

Plus some assistance bs
-----------------------
BOOM! Im getting some momentum going now, just cant wait to get on the platform and lift some weights. The 150 set flew up, as it probably should considering I lifted 182.5kg at the last Addlington comp but I did it with so much more authority than I did 147.5 with last week. The set just seemed to fly by in a complete blur, felt like it was over in about 3 seconds. Double body-weight on both squat and deadlift for reps now, feels good.
» The Road to the Student Championships (Go to post)04-09-2008 @ 12:07 
I havn't tried getting funding just for me, they have a scholarship scheme for that. I looked at the form and basically they want someone who is going to win something major so they can brag about it, not somebody who is doing their first comp.

I think my comp choice now comes down to two BAWLA comps, the YNE one next month and the NW later this year. If Im still in time to apply for the YNE I will do that one, if not probably the NW. At least location wise these are both ideal. It is quite easy to get people to join up during freshers week for things Joni but to form a Society you have to have a chairman and a treasurer. The treasurer has to go on a course ffs! Being able to use the Sports Development Area of Sugden would be ideal. I might cheekily contact the sports office again and ask if I can at least have use of that.

There wouldn't just be me and you MrSmall, but not that many more! And probably not even you if you want to train in the morning! Seriously the idea of a fresher getting up for 7am to train seems impossible!
» The Road to the Student Championships (Go to post)03-09-2008 @ 18:01 
So yesterday I got some bad news. The comp I was planning to do is on October 4th which just so happens to be the same day as the rugby league grand final. With a simple one or the other choice I have to choose the grand final.

This has left me searching for another comp and Im currently weighing up my options. This was a blow really, it has been my aim and focus and now it has been altered pretty late on. It was also the ideal comp in some many ways, timing and location mostly.

Iain, I did notice that comp on PLUK. Having travelled down to Bournemouth this year and realising first hand how much of a treck it is Im thinking it is a little too far I think. I contacted the University of Manchester earlier this year and they said they wouldn't provide funding for a Powerlifting team since it is not a BUSA/BUCS sport and even though I pointed out that the Student Championships is a BUSA/BUCS event they said I would need to get a team of 20 lifters. The only way I could get that many lifters together would be if I was able to widely advertise and have a stall at the Sports Fair in Freshers Week, two things I cant do without the support of the University! They recommended setting up a Powerlifting Society, which I had already looked into and found the requirements even more difficult to match. So all in all the University happily subsidises Ultimate Frisbee but not a single strength sport.

Anyway, time to shut up 'n' squat:

Tuesday 3/8/08 at Fitness First, Leeds

Squat:
60kg x 5
82.5kg x 5
102.5kg x 5
125kg x 5
150kg x 3 - Squat PB. Double bodyweight

Bench:
40kg x 5
47.5kg x 5
55kg x 5
62.5kg x 5
70kg x 3

-------------------
BOOM, squat PB. After the dissapointment of the morning about with the comp bs I lost some of my gym motivation until I thought "screw all that, time for some squatting". The 150kg set was easy.

Though I just love to lift for the fun of it I, like most people, would love a record to their name. I found out recently that the 75kg teen record in the BPC is 195kg. I think I can smash this at a comp next year before I turn 20 in May. I also found out that the BWLA Under 20 75kg un-equipped squat record is 170kg. If I do a BAWLA un-equipped comp before I turn 20 Id love this record as well.
» WSM 08 predictions! (Go to post)03-09-2008 @ 16:56 
Since my only source of Strongman info is what is broadcast on TV, who is this Poundstone fella?

12345678910 ... ... 155156157158159160161162163164165

You are here: HomeForumLukeC → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions