Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitHow to effectifly ........

How to effectifly ........

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

i have to agree with ed and Will. there has to be a solid core plan covering all aspects of the bodies movement when doing events and trying to gain strength. but also you have to identify your weaknesses and strength and train appropriately to make sure you have a good all round showing
Post Edited: 02.05.2010 @ 14:25 PM by MattGriff
Thing said:
i was thinking that what would be better for the like of the amature/ the full time working average joe

There is excellent research to back up the principles of multiple training sessions at sub maximal weights. If you can fit it in that way it is a useful tool, not possible unless you own and gym or have decent working hours – many find training near everyday is a suitable counterpart.

A balance must be obtained between actual physical strength primarily developed by the use of Powerlifts and Olympic movements and event training type strength an experience.

For a large majority on the board they could see vast improvements in thier abilities including events if they focussed on becoming stronger.

It is no great surprise that some of the best performing strongmen on here (outside of the top ranks of Tel & Loz etc as it were) are the likes of Mick, Clegg and Boar respectively in their weight classes. Two former powerlifters and a former Oly Lifter all with excellent core strength.

Then looking at the likes of Loz, Felix and Tel - 300+ squats all round, the lowest powerlifting standard deadlift being 382.5kgs - again excellent actual strength.

In regards to fun, while I agree you must enjoy training - most are in the game to do thier best at comps. Personally the biggest kick comes from knwoing I have improved a weak area to give a better overall performance.

I am of course very very new to the strongman game, having done one competition with only one training session towards it.
To me getting stronger and applying that strength to the technical aspects of the events seems the most simple solution - and as per Occam's razor I belive it is correct.
MattGriff said:
To me getting stronger and applying that strength to the technical aspects of the events seems the most simple solution - and as per Occam's razor I belive it is correct.

to me this statement here is fundamentally the most important to strongman or any other strength sport, but stringing together the best way to achieve this must suit the individual but getting that sorted is the secrete. for instance i have looked of my written journals over the last 5 years and i have noticed one thing when it comes to me. if i want to make progress i need to do volume. like with squats if i did back squats followed by front squats and then good mornings and ham curls i found that i would have better strength gains than just doing back squats alone with one assistance exercise, the same can be said for upper back work and pressing work. so i think once i can sort the issue with the back out i will be heading back to this methology.
edstudham said:This could be a really good thread!

I have tried many types of training over the years, and used to do a lot of rowing before this so I think endurance is definately a big factor in strongman, as I guess a lot of you will notice a lot of events are becoming much mure cardio/endurance based.

Personally I dont have a set routine, I train when my body feels ready. Usually it will be 2-3 gym sessions a week and 1 events day going through stuff that I havent trained in the week in the gym. I also think it is important to do a mix of high and low rep exercises. Low to get the strength and power up and high rep for hypertropy to force the mucsles to grow (3-5 sets of low reps going to near max, then one set of max reps at about 50-60% max).

My usual routine is something like this

Day 1

Chest and Biceps

Day 2

Legs and back

Day 3 Cardio and Heavy core work

Day 4

Events

Such as Log axle press etc.

This is spread out over the weekand events is always something I havent trained in the week.

I have found that all my lifts have flown up since just listening to my body and remembering the smaller muscles, like biceps, calves etc as they will always play a part in events.

well f**k me listen to doctor ed!

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitHow to effectifly ........
Return to top View Desktop Site