Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumTraining & Training VideosDeadlifts, deficit deadlifts and rackpulls

Deadlifts, deficit deadlifts and rackpulls

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Hi,

I currently do 1 inch deficit and 4 inch deficit deadlifts as part of my program. Someone in the gym suggested a 4 inch deficit was way too much. Should I ditch the 1 & 4 inch and replace with a 2 inch deficit, and maybe add some rack pulls?

(I usually fail deadlifts about 3 inches off the floor if that is useful)

Cheers
big_mike
I just stand on a 20 plate. I used to pull from something like a 4-5 inch deficit but someone said it altered the dynamics of the lift too much. Looking back I'd say he was right and it was too much
big_mike said:I just stand on a 20 plate. I used to pull from something like a 4-5 inch deficit but someone said it altered the dynamics of the lift too much. Looking back I'd say he was right and it was too much

Appreciate that, thanks.
HeavySingle
For me personally 4 inches is too much, around 2 is better. Not a massive fan of rack pulls but they seem to work for some. I prefer pulling from blocks, so around 12 inches is good for me or 18 inches if I really want to work lockout exclusively. Keep experimenting and see what increases your pull.
HeavySingle said:For me personally 4 inches is too much, around 2 is better. Not a massive fan of rack pulls but they seem to work for some. I prefer pulling from blocks, so around 12 inches is good for me or 18 inches if I really want to work lockout exclusively. Keep experimenting and see what increases your pull.

Thanks. I have to be honest, I didn't even give 12 inches a look in but it might be good as I'm failing 3 inches off the floor. Think I will go with this. Any idea what the ratio of deadlift to 12inch deadlift should be? (10% higher?)
HeavySingle
Honestly mate without giving you a short answer I think it'll vary from person to person. I myself can probably get an extra 20kg or so from 12 inches, a friend of mine gets significantly more than that, but he's very weak above the knees. It sounds like you fail around 12 inches so give them a try, might help you out.

I've watched a lot of dan green videos and seminars on YouTube and he's a big fan of deadlifts from around that height.
Meatfish
As above, it depends. If you can get into position with the 4" deficit and keep the bar in the right path, and it helps your pull, then stick with it. I doubt I could get to the bar with a 4" deficit but I am the opposite of a good build for pulling. That said, if you are failing 3" off the floor you might want to add block pulls or rack pulls with the bar 2" off the floor as this should help develop strength around your weak point as you will be pulling from just below it from a dead stop.
Never tried deficits but the guy I train used to do deficits with the bar almost touching his toes did kinda think this was to far down what do you guy think
HeavySingle
stewartflett13 said:Never tried deficits but the guy I train used to do deficits with the bar almost touching his toes did kinda think this was to far down what do you guy think

Deficits are a great way to learn to pull explosively off the floor, it just seems like everyone has a different height that there comfortable with until it becomes almost a different list. As far as I understand konstantin konstantinovs does actually pull from 4" deficit.

Try different heights and see what's comfortable and still feels like a deadlift. But don't just take my word on it there are plenty of guys on here with monster deadlifts.
HeavySingle said:
Deficits are a great way to learn to pull explosively off the floor, it just seems like everyone has a different height that there comfortable with until it becomes almost a different list. As far as I understand konstantin konstantinovs does actually pull from 4" deficit.
Try different heights and see what's comfortable and still feels like a deadlift. But don't just take my word on it there are plenty of guys on here with monster deadlifts.

Thanks man I'm pretty good off the floor but weaker at knee height but it's opposite with my training partner
You are here: HomeForumTraining & Training VideosDeadlifts, deficit deadlifts and rackpulls
Return to top View Desktop Site